How hard is it to be smart?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How hard is it to be smart?

Post by Obli on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:17 am

Seriously. How hard is it to be even slightly intelligent? Sometimes I wonder this every day, as I walk down the hallway and see something spelled so horribly wrong.

For example: On a poster, someone spelled skyscrapers as "skyscrappers". Then, someone spelled burglary as "burgerly".

What the hell? Writing and reading is something that we should've been doing all our lives. So why do people find it SO FUCKING HARD to spell correctly? I mean, goddamnit. I come from a freaking Spanish-speaking island!!! I learned English as a SECOND LANGUAGE!!!! Yet, I learned how to correctly spell. Why is it that those who have been living in America, their WHOLE lives find it so hard to use their own language correctly?

Sometimes I feel like I am surrounded by stupid people. And then I realize, oh wait, I am.

Obli
Tormented By Nightmares
Tormented By Nightmares

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How hard is it to be smart?

Post by Plattack on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:14 pm

I was thinking that on the bus.
I guess that if you go back a couple uncountable generations it was just a few people, which would mean that technically we're all inbred. Which would explain why humanity is getting more and more and more retarded.

Plattack
REM Dweller
REM Dweller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade on Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:03 pm

Great....so our kind is dying out?? *sigh* What a shame....Oh well. As the last of the intelligent people, let us strive to change the world~! XD

*Thanks to Mayari for the wonderful avatar/signature combo

WhippedCreame wrote:oh god yes eat my spaghetti confetti

Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

View user profile http://eternaldream.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani on Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:20 pm

That would never work, unfortunately. There are far too many stupid people out there that would disuse the intelligent people's knowledge. I don't know about you, but I see it happen everyday.

"We must no more ask whether the soul and body are one than ask whether the wax
       and the figure impressed on it are one."

Cerani
Right Hand of Destruction

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow on Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:36 pm

Obli wrote:I come from a freaking Spanish-speaking island!!! I learned English as a SECOND LANGUAGE!!!!

Same here, I actually learned English.

On Topic: Meh, as sad as it may be, there's nothing (Or very little) we intelligent people can do. All we need is to live with it...

Shadow
Graced with Good Dreams
Graced with Good Dreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Durn on Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:36 pm

The same thing is going on where I live. ._.

But in all honesty, we can't do anything about it. Some people are just too stupid to spell simple words such as "Skyscraper" correctly.

Durn
Hermit Sage
Hermit Sage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eonis ♪ on Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:59 pm

Who cares? They're simple mistakes. A slight mistake like that shouldn't be something to be mad about. .___.

Eonis ♪
Full Eight Hours
Full Eight Hours

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:42 pm

Right. Simple mistakes that everybody makes right? That would be the problem, these mistakes have become so commonplace, that it's accepted as normal behavior, expected even. We're talking about high school kids who can't spell something right on something that will go up on a wall where the rest of school can see it. Way to show how intelligent that person is, huh?

Cerani

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:08 pm

And that sucks when we have visitors to our school, too. I mean, what are they going to think when they see "assult" written upon a poster instead of the actual "assault"? They are going to think that the educators aren't doing their jobs when they really try their hardest--it's the students who refuse to accept that intelligence is a necessity to live a prosperous and meaningful life.

Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:21 pm

Yes, that's exactly the point I was trying to get across.

Cerani

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Azure on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:33 pm

Yes, I never knew how dumb my peers were until we read a book out loud--as a class...one at a time. They read very slowly.....they always had trouble pronouncing a word in a sentence, and according to a reliable reading-level test, they all scored at about....3-5 years behind on reading capabilities. (of course, I scored as reading like a college student ^^)

By this, I would estimate their overall intelligence is at least 2 years behind compared to how it should be....

Azure
Graced with Good Dreams
Graced with Good Dreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Durn on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:43 pm

Aura wrote:Yes, I never knew how dumb my peers were until we read a book out loud--as a class...one at a time. They read very slowly.....they always had trouble pronouncing a word in a sentence, and according to a reliable reading-level test, they all scored at about....3-5 years behind on reading capabilities. (of course, I scored as reading like a college student ^^)

By this, I would estimate their overall intelligence is at least 2 years behind compared to how it should be....

That reminds me... I was taking a standardized test when a girl blurted out "What's an or-in-goo-tin?"

I read the question she was asking about...

It said orangutan. ._.

Durn
Hermit Sage
Hermit Sage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Azure on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:48 pm

Yeah, unfortunately stuff like that isn't uncommon[yep, restating the obvious....]. If I was asked to make a list, it'd be pretty long. Now, adults argue technology is the problem, and true, it is part of it, but these idiots we're going to school with...they're over-using it to the point they're basically illiterate.

I've even heard cases where people are TEXTING at the dinner table! There's no sense in that! Of course, I mean they are in fact texting to each other! It's pitiful...

Azure
Graced with Good Dreams
Graced with Good Dreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EternalDoom on Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:01 pm

Oh yes! I praise you all! It IS hard to find intelligent people at school anymore! I go to class with a bunch of kids who don't even know basic multiplication! At one point in summer school, I had an assistant teacher never even heard of the word bingo! It's a common phrase! It's used almost as much as the cliche phrase, "In space, no one can hear you scream"! Oh and one important topic. My brother said at one point in one of his classes last year, his whole class had a heated 2 hour debate about if the word "red" is an adjective! Nowadays, everyone's looking to ME for answers to the simplest of questions, even teachers! Not my fault I don't watch BET or text all the time or even social network with strangers. I watch educational tv and actually LOVE it! I took a test last year to see where my reading level was and it was college grade level too Aura.

But I do however admit I am a little challenged in math skills but hey, there's nothing wrong with being challenged in some area of academics. We can't expect every smart person to be perfect right?

EternalDoom
Tormented By Nightmares
Tormented By Nightmares

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Obli on Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:31 pm

Yeah. ^_^ I can't do simple arithmetic, but give me a quadratic to factor, or a sine function to graph, and I'll do it. lol.

Back in middle school, we had to take a reading level test and I scored a 13.5 which was a college level too. >.> We must all be geniuses. Hahaha.

Obli
Tormented By Nightmares
Tormented By Nightmares

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade on Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:47 pm

Hey, I don't ally myself with ignorant people. A) I can't stand them, and B) I want to kill them......AND C) There is no C that I can think of right now and I might come back later to edit this! XD

Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani on Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:35 pm

Obli wrote:Yeah. ^_^ I can't do simple arithmetic, but give me a quadratic to factor, or a sine function to graph, and I'll do it. lol.

Back in middle school, we had to take a reading level test and I scored a 13.5 which was a college level too. >.> We must all be geniuses. Hahaha.

The people on these small, unheard-of forums are almost all geniuses. So we're all geniuses?

Cerani

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VIII Redeta on Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:38 pm

I'm a *censored* genius.

I feel good.

VIII Redeta
Fleeting Dreamer
Fleeting Dreamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Azure on Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:12 pm

Ah, this place is crawling with smart people. Yay.

What I would do to an [extremely annoying, unbearably, OUTRAGEOUS] idiot[if murder was legal]:I'd probably shove a nest of wasps in their mouth, and glue it to their tongue....then I put a specially made dropper to drop drops molten lead on them every 5 minutes, and I think by then they'd be KO'd from the pain, and I'd just let ants salvage whatever valuables they can find.

God, I'm screwed up. But stupid people just make me that mad....

Azure
Graced with Good Dreams
Graced with Good Dreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EternalDoom on Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:44 pm

Compared to my thoughts, yours are much less graphic. I would seriously slam some random idiot into a locker, keep their head out and bash their head repeatedly with the door until the door is broken and finish them off with an another blow to the head that time with a nearby fire extinguisher.

EternalDoom
Tormented By Nightmares
Tormented By Nightmares

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Azure on Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Really? That seems less graphic to me. That's just a really blood head to me. Plus it'd be over too soon. You have no sadistic imagination whatsoever.... No

Azure
Graced with Good Dreams
Graced with Good Dreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EternalDoom on Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:54 pm

I'd rather have them dead in a heartbeat while using most efficient and resourceful way possible. My sadistic intentions are just resourceful. But yes, you do have more of a sadistic imagination than I do because you'd rather kill them slowly however I'd like to do it quickly so that their screaming doesn't get heard.

EternalDoom
Tormented By Nightmares
Tormented By Nightmares

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Azure on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:54 pm

Well, shove a cotton ball in their mouth so they can't scream.

Sulfuric acid injections, bees, poisonous plants.....eh, I got tons of screwed up ideas.

Azure
Graced with Good Dreams
Graced with Good Dreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VIII Redeta on Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:49 am

Methinks someone needs a way of venting~

Hm... Writing about gruesome acts is... odd. Normally it's no trouble for me. But when I had to put my character Matthias through it, I felt oddly tormented. It wasn't even that bad. There were just a bunch of dead people around, people he helped killed.

See, he was in a bandits' lair trying to rescue someone. And his comrade skewered people left and right, no questions asked. When the two got to the living quarters of these bandits, Matthias stumbled upon an unfinished letter. One of the bandits (a supposedly bad man, right?) was writing to his family.

And that just hit him hard.

VIII Redeta
Fleeting Dreamer
Fleeting Dreamer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Azure on Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:21 am

My issues are too personal to talk to others about, my way of venting is beating other people at video games, and it usually works for me.

Azure
Graced with Good Dreams
Graced with Good Dreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:02 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top