Eternal Dream
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forbidden Arte [RP Thread]

2 posters

Go down

A Forbidden Arte [RP Thread] Empty A Forbidden Arte [RP Thread]

Post by Gist Sat May 17, 2014 3:45 pm

Magic, black and white
has been and always will be
A Forbidden Arte.

A GistxVergil Freeform Roleplay

Monday, October 23, 2197
Providence, Rhode Island.

It was a rainy day, overcast and not really bright in any sort of way. It was almost as if the very fibers of the ground beneath sapped away at what light there was because as the rain fell, the place seemed to get darker and darker. All one could hear was the nonstop tapping of the raindrops hitting the hard cobblestones and mortar, slapping almost like the hand on a blasphemous face. There was not much to be said on that day, mainly because there was no one around to be seen, no one to be heard, no one to be found. There was not much one could do on a day like this, except for simply watching the rain wash everything away.

Sure, if one had the talent, they could shield themselves from what wetness they would start drowning in; however, no one had done that in public for quite some time. In fact, if any person was seen wielding any kind of mystical power, they were to be executed without question and without mercy. The government had an accident where the manifestation of "magic" had exploded among the populace, almost causing an extremely high portion of the population to rebel against he oppressive government with their newfound superiority. In the eyes of the government, this was absolutely a problem, seeing as how the foundation of their power came from this same population, and perhaps the sheep that they were was beginning to find a newfound awareness in the whole scheme of things.

So in the very end of the 64th President of the United States' second term in office, a decree had been issued by Congress to exterminate any of those with supernatural power. Since the late 21st century, things had begun to take a steep nosedive that almost everyone was oblivious to. From the perspective of the worker bees outside the hive, everything was going swimmingly, what with public welfare going out to needy citizens at an all time high and the population reaching over 450 million people in that short amount of time. What was once a crowded country was now even more so due to the sheer amount of people that were populating it.

With the explosion of people came government opportunity to use this slew of people for their own devices. With the need to worry about more personal matters, hardly anyone would notice. So the government stole children born in state hospitals and subjected them to all sorts of testing and experiments, not all of which were immoral, to some extent, around 250,000 children. As the years went on, it became more and more obvious that people were incorrectly losing their children to "mysterious circumstances".

As time went on, the awareness of this horrible crime increased, and that incited the mass exodus of these offended persons back into the country, at least, some of them anyway. Many of those did not survive the testing; about a 60% loss. Those that did survive had some sort of "mutation" that allowed them to use magical powers of sorts, like real-live X-Men, but more artificial. Powers could be transformed and passed on to offspring, which happened in many circumstances.

This all happened two generations ago, though. Now with the decree still standing strong, hardly anyone saw any form of "magic" anywhere, and those that still had it were keeping it as suppressed as possible. The amount of people that have magical powers has dramatically increased, but with disuse comes weakening. Some people have embraced this path in order to make sure they can stay alive to see another day, while others have chosen to embrace their powers, and are having free reign with them outside of the government's watch.

There were two that were coming up into this turbulent world. A part of the new generation, they have to make the choice between living under the government's control or simply living like normal people and saving their own skins.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dierdre Zion was sitting in a coffee shop looking outside at the window at the nonstop rain. There seemed to be no end to it, and she couldn't say forever. Money was tight, and the last bit she had left, she wanted to keep it in case she was in a dire emergency, which this was not. She kept a small pole strapped to her thigh in case someone tried to do something rather awry with her, but as of yet, there wasn't much in the department of harassment. This was a public facility, and the government had eyes everywhere that was deemed "public". She was safe here, but she could not stay. There were a few other people in the shop, but they seemed to be nondescript.

She wasn’t exactly the type of person that was really one to socialize with each and every person that crossed her path; she was someone who could manipulate people for what she wanted, but again, she preferred to not to have to rely on that in order to make it through life. Using her powers was out of the question if she could help it. She just wasn’t one to break rules… alone at least. She had flied solo since she was about seventeen years old, when both of her parents were finally dead. She didn’t like the stifling atmosphere they stuck her in, and she was half-glad that they were gone. Now she could do what she wanted, when she wanted to, but the land of opportunity wasn’t exactly as hospitable as it was fabled to be once upon a time. She didn’t want to dwell on that, though.

Besides, she was focusing on herself and the rain anyway. She needed to go outside soon, because she could feel the cashier's eyes on her. She had been here for the past hour, and each patron was only allowed 75 minutes inside, even if they were a paying customer. She would be going out alone, in search of some sort of steady shelter for the night. She hated to use her feminine charm to convince people to let her do things they didn't want her to do, because this was rather suspicious on her part and the government might see that.

She needed to go, but was utterly alone. She sighed into the window, and savored the last few minutes she had in the dry place. They were probably the last ones she'd get for a while. She crossed her arms and kept staring outside the window. ”I can’t even tell what time of day it is. Dad  would certainly laugh at me for not being able to see an inch in front of my face out there, but you know? Fuck him. I’m living my own life, now, and if I can help it, I’m going to make the best out of it. There’s nothing that he can really do about it anyway, now is there?” She mused to herself as she tried to think of what in the world she was going to do in what was now ten minutes, rather unsuccessfully. This just wasn’t her strong suit.
Gist
Gist
Full Eight Hours
Full Eight Hours

Back to top Go down

A Forbidden Arte [RP Thread] Empty Re: A Forbidden Arte [RP Thread]

Post by Vergil Tue May 20, 2014 12:31 am

AJ Blackburn was born a resident of the United Kingdom where he had spent the majority of his childhood. The United States government had set up a number of secret branches for their experimental facilities in various parts of the world, one of which happened to be in AJ’s hometown of Bristol. His mother Layla Caldwell, was one of the few unfortunate enough to be “volunteered” for experimental participation but found a way to eventually escape and later on married a man by the name of Piers Blackburn. Layla could not openly report the horrors that went on in the facility to the public, let alone her husband for fear of what might have happened.

The United States had denied to the public of establishing such programs and rumors had spread that anyone making such claims in America had ended up missing. Layla hid her own abilities she had obtained in her time in the laboratories, and tried to live in a quiet settlement for the rest of her life. When AJ was born, she began to fear for the possibility that he would inherit her curse and end up exposing himself and putting their family in jeopardy. For many years everything was peaceful and the incident was but a forlorn echo of the past, which was until the fateful day when AJ had found himself in a street fight, and was at the time in his teenage years.

Sometime throughout the course of the altercation, AJ had unwittingly conjured a dark force field to push away his assailant. In his attacker’s shock, his adversary ran off to report it to the authorities the following day. To worsen the situation, the thug’s friend happened to be at the scene and recorded the entire fight on tape. The town was in an uproar, but the media had written it off as a hoax involving staged special effects. Many citizens of the streets believed otherwise, thinking AJ was a freak or a witch of sorts and proceeded to ostracize and castigate him. Piers Blackburn had disowned his family in the chaos and left for parts unknown, most likely guising himself with a pseudonym. The following years became progressively harsh, as the death threats and insults never stopped coming.

The breaking point came when AJ returned home one night to find his mother brutally murdered and her corpse left in the middle of the flat, with the killer leaving hateful messages on the wall scrawled with her blood. From that day AJ grew cold and hateful towards those that casted him away, vowing to one day claim revenge. As he wandered the cold streets, trying to avert himself from the cruel, judging eyes, AJ passed by a hooded figure who bumped into him and walked off. Under the suspicion that it was a pickpocket, AJ checked to make sure his belongings were still there. What AJ had found was even stranger, as instead of him missing any of his money, he had found that the person had slipped him an envelope. Within it was a paper reading “MEET AT THE DOCKS”, and with nothing more to lose AJ decided to heed it without caring if it were a possible ambush.

When he arrived at the harbor, he noticed that it was entirely empty save for a small tethered boat and the same hooded figure from before standing by it. The figure claimed that it had been watching for quite some time and showed sympathy for all that AJ had endured. It revealed that it was part of an underground organization comprised entirely of people like AJ, who believed that those with special abilities were the future and sought equality among the other human beings. The organization called itself the “Order of the Silver Stripe” or “OSS” for short. Their goal was to overthrow the government that wanted to keep their kind oppressed and start a new future where those of supernatural powers could walk without fear, or so it claimed.

Whether or not the OSS was a freedom-fighting group striving for a noble cause or a crazed cult bent on unorthodox havoc was debatable, but the burning image of his mother’s corpse still lingered on in AJ’s mind and against any other reason he indomitably offered his services to the organization. He was instantly accepted and informed that he would have to leave his home to stay under the radar. His death would be faked so that he may be forgotten, and he would be relocated under a new identity. AJ was instructed to get on the boat bound for America and given an enclosed set of instructions to meet up with an OSS agent in Rhode Island, and so he would.

One long ride across the ocean later, the boat stopped in Providence where he ambled into a designated rendezvous point. There he met with the OSS agent who handed him a portfolio with professionally forged documents, including a new license and keys to an address that he had falsified deed to, as well as a debit card marked under his new moniker for a bank account already with an abundance of deposited funds, along with an untraceable cell phone. After that had been settled, the OSS agent told him that the Order would call for him soon, and concluded by passing to him an encrypted message printed on a specially designed sheet of paper, with a carved piece of plastic marked with the OSS’s insignia, that allowed the decoding of the message if aligned properly with the letters of the paper. It was advised to do so when he got home, in the meantime, he was permitted to take the time to enjoy his new life in the states. The OSS agent gave him a nod and left him with the words, “Lose the accent if you want to blend in properly.”

AJ Blackburn, or now rather “Kevin Avery” decided to stop at a nearby coffee shop to sample their local brew. He was aware of their policies, and knew he didn’t intend on staying long anyway. “Kevin Avery”. He repeated the name in his mind, and made a befuddled expression as it sounded strange on his tongue. So much was happening at once, and he was a bit relieved to have a moment of peace with nothing but the sound of the rain trickling against the windows. There was nobody else here except for the barista and a female patron sitting across from him in the shop, and he reveled in the notion that for once he wouldn’t be criticized and judged for who he was, mainly because nobody knew. So there he sat, enjoying a hot beverage and waiting for the storm to die down.
Vergil
Vergil
Void Sleeper
Void Sleeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Gist Thu May 22, 2014 2:05 pm

Dierdre sat staring at the rain silently wondering where in the hell she was going to go. Her home was quite a ways away from here, and the fact that she would be travelling outside without any accompaniment in this deluge would be something a bit difficult to explain, since people were expected to not be alone when they were travelling places. Then again, if she went fast enough to avoid detection, none of that would necessarily be a problem. She was about to get up and leave when the bell rung behind her. Who else would be out and about in this storm besides herself? Certainly whoever they might be wouldn't be alone...

A bit of dialogue she didn't listen to and then suddenly, she saw this man come and sit from the table across from her. What was intriguing about this man, though, was the fact that she had never really seen him before. The city of Providence was actually quite small, and she knew most of the people in it since she was born and raised there. There weren't hardly any people that she didn't know, save for the outside corporate bigwigs who come commuting through every now and then, but that wasn't that often... Just who could this person be, and why was he all alone here? Certainly he had to be here with someone; being alone didn't usually happen in these times.

"Five minutes, lady."

Dierdre turned to give the cashier a withering look, to which he just shrugged his shoulder. "You know the rules. I'm just doing my job here." She rolled her eyes and walked over to the other patron of the coffee shop. He could buy her a bit more time in the dry. Technically if one is in a group, you get as much time as you had people in the group, which in this case, would be a little over two hours. Besides, she needed to quench this building curiosity. Rudely, she dragged out a chair and sat in it, looking into the stranger's face. "Hi. I haven't seen you around here before, that's unusual. My name's Dierdre. What's yours?"

Well, the ice needed to be broken somehow, and she needed to stay dry.
Gist
Gist
Full Eight Hours
Full Eight Hours

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Tue May 27, 2014 1:19 am

AJ slowly quaffed down his beverage lost in his own thoughts when his session of introversion was interrupted by the sound of the opposite chair of the table screeched throughout the room. His gaze steadily shifted upward at the woman who had suddenly sat down in front of him and introduced herself. AJ’s expression retained a fixed state of forlorn apathy, and looked back down to take another sip of his coffee. “It’s A-… Kevin,” he responded, the new moniker leaving a strange taste in his mouth. His attempt at masking his accent was rather forced and sloppily improvised, as he could only try to mimic what he had heard from the prattle of the pedestrians in the streets of the city.

He couldn’t help but feel anxious, as this was his first time he had actually stepped foot in this new country, and familiarity with modern customs and social decorum was something that would need to be researched upon if he ever wanted hope of fitting in. Still, he hadn’t expected to be approached by a local so soon in what appeared to be casual interaction; perhaps he just wasn’t used to people talking to him without ulterior motives. Despite the informal initiation of conversation, the very specific phrasing of her introduction caught AJ’s attention, most notably the statement: “that’s unusual”. Was it really unusual to see strangers passing by in this town for a simple cup of coffee? Did she know everyone to warrant such a comment? It could have been possible she was also a member of the OSS and was trying to verify him with a special code phrase, a response that he was supposed to have known but was never debriefed on, possibly due to one of the previous agents that he met being forgetful. If such was the case he would be in serious trouble, as he rationalized that he might be a target for assassination if he gave the wrong answer. However he did give his cover name, so he might be in the clear should it be the case she was legitimately an agent. To be on the safe side, he proceeded to give the full cover name as one could only guess how many people were named Kevin in the town. “Kevin Avery. I’m new in town. It’s nice to meet you Dierdre.

He decided he would have to pick up a few resources on how to speak more like an American, as he was lost when it came to which words and phrases weren’t common in this country. Forcing himself to use bland and basic vernacular was going to give him a headache.
Vergil
Vergil
Void Sleeper
Void Sleeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Gist Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:02 am

Dierdre listened to the two sentences the man named Kevin spoke with a bit of interest. For a second there, she thought she had heard him going to say another letter... was it an A? Certainly he wouldn't be lying about his name to a stranger... would he? She smiled a bit wider, now looking back out the window at the neverending rain... "Well, then, Kevin Avery. As you can see, it's quite rainy here. I don't know where you're from, so you may be used to this. Ever since I can remember, I haven't really ever seen real sunshine. It's like someone reached up and just turned it off. It's quite sad, really, because I know some people never get rain or precipitation of any kind. I just know that I'm being flooded away. Then again, that's better than being burned to death, right? Oh, what am I asking you for, you're new to town." She laughed a bit and turned her green eyes back towards him.

"In just the two sentences you've spoken, I think I can tell quite a lot about you... and that isn't necessarily a bad thing, either. I like people who I can read somewhat; eliminating some of the guessing makes my footwork more sure, and for that, I'll give you a wink and a smile. I still want to satisfy my curiosity, though. Why are you here in Providence? Certainly you know there's an old testing center just a few minutes away from here, right? This place is extremely heavily monitored. No one can catch a break here, not really even the drifters... yet you're still 'new' here. Why?"
Gist
Gist
Full Eight Hours
Full Eight Hours

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down