Eternal Dream
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eternal Dream: Abyss Of The Lost

2 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Eternal Dream: Abyss Of The Lost - Page 3 Empty Re: Eternal Dream: Abyss Of The Lost

Post by Masquerade Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:41 pm

"I am stubborn but I know when a group is at its limit and we've reached it. We did not make it far, no, but we have made our mark here, and now we know what to expect," Ruby explained, tapping her foot against the ground. She really didn't want to leave, especially after being taunted by that voice, but she had a feeling it was trying to lure her to make unwise decisions. She was more tactical than that. She imagined if she were a leading a squad in the heat of a war in the midst of a battlefield. If everyone was injured and distressed, it would be suicide to press on. Sure some might find their inner strength and bravery, but from what she gleaned from this party, that probably would not be the case.

"Listen, Movak, I don't know the depths of your situation since my knowledge of it is lacking, but I have the condition of the whole group to keep in mind, and yours is the worst out of us all. We are going back to the town to recover before pressing on. Was this particular battle difficult? Yes, it was, but if I do recall, and note this happened only moments ago, it was a victory. A small victory, but a victory nonetheless. Now that we know what we're up against, we can make the proper preparations."

"My decision is final."
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

https://eternaldream.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Eternal Dream: Abyss Of The Lost - Page 3 Empty Re: Eternal Dream: Abyss Of The Lost

Post by Vergil Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:25 pm

"A single victory means nothing when their kind breeds faster than we can kill them," Movak refuted, trying to sound like he could still carry on when he looked as though he were about to keel over. "I've seen them, they'll only come back stronger and in greater numbers. Their mutations only make them more capable predators. If you're only calling to abandon this task for my own sake, then I do not find it to be a worthy reason nor do I appreciate your pity. This is more than just a war we are fighting. On a grander scale, the combined weight of our lives pale in comparison to true victory against their kind. When the time arrives, I hope that you will come to realize this before making any more pointless decisions. However, I did say that I would leave this decision to you, and I will honor that word."

Quest Abandoned

Music: Humble Retreat
Spoiler:

And so the group fled, leaving the treacherous environment that had taken over the estate to retreat to the hamlet for their quest's respite. The trip back was long and apprehensive with nothing but their battered wounds to accompany them, and neither Movak nor Genevieve spoke another word; they did not even pay one another a glance, looking off to the side of the road in their broken shame. They made it back to Aequinoctium at the break of morning, stopping at the town square. "I hope you have a plan," Movak chided.
Vergil
Vergil
Void Sleeper
Void Sleeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:53 am

"My plan for you guys is to have you rest up. Tend to your injuries and rest. I need to speak to Keeper once more. If you're feeling well enough, feel free to explore the town. Maybe you'll find something of use for our next expedition into the estate."

"We'll set off tomorrow in the morning light. Your minds are burdened with what transpired today and you will need sleep. Meet up at the tavern when ready and we will depart. Now that you know what to expect, steel yourselves for what is to come, for what we encountered today was only the beginning."

With that said, Ruby bowed to her team and departed for the abbey. She was pretty damn sore herself having come so close to demise but she forced herself onward. She should have lead by example and got some rest but she needed insight into these creatures. The group's power was great, yes, but these monsters were so much stronger than they were. How were they supposed to combat them? She was only human.

Ruby's weary steps led her to the sanctum of the abbey. She didn't know where Keeper was now. He might not even be here. He was a man that kept rather busy and was working on reconstructing the town. Ruby stopped a nearby woman who was likely a nun at the abbey.

"I am sorry to bother you, sister, but do you happen to know where Keeper is?" she asked politely.
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:43 pm

The group said no more as they began to depart. Movak walked slowly and almost stumbled, while Kristeva tried to reach for his arm to help hold him up. Pushing away, Movak showed his contempt by glowering back at her. Genevieve rolled her eyes and then the three went their own separate ways for the night. There was much work to be done if they were ever going to be a functional, cohesive team. They all had their own faults and shortcomings, and it could not be expected for them to just simply be thrown in together and cooperate.

When Ruby arrived at the abbey, the priestess was none other than Sister Jehira who had been seen speaking to the Keeper before. "Of course," Jehira replied. "He's still in the sacristy studying the relics. Follow me." Jehira led Ruby up a wooden stairwell and to a door in which the priestess gave several knocks. "Who is it?" Keeper's voice responded from within the room. "It is Sister Jehira, Ruby has returned to see you."

"Come on in," Keeper permitted. Jehira opened the door and nodded to Ruby, as she took her leave down the stairs. Keeper appeared, his eyes weary and several strands of his hair disheveled and out of place. "You've returned, and in less time than I would have thought. I knew those creatures would be no match for you. Did you find the Lorekeeper's memoirs?"
Vergil
Vergil
Void Sleeper
Void Sleeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:34 pm

The woman led Ruby to the sacristy where Keeper was, and upon seeing Keeper there, Ruby felt a lump in her throat. The sister left the two alone and Ruby entered. Keeper seemed pleased to see her but only because he thought that the mission was done already. There was no possible way they could find the notes in such a short amount of time. Did he truly have that much faith in her and her motley crew of lackeys that she had just met that very day? Optimistic to a fault, perhaps?

"You will be saddened to hear that we had to retreat, Keeper," Ruby admitted solemnly. She felt like her words drained whatever happiness could be found from the room immediately. "Our first traipse in was met with victory, rest assured, but it took a rather hefty toll on not only myself but my allies as well. Easily, I could have pressed on, but the wounds were severe. I know that one day I might have to give up one of their lives to move onward, but this day was not the one."

"Keeper, these creatures are far more powerful than I could have thought--abominations capable of such chaos. I will admit I did not expect to cross what I did. I think that may have inhibited things..." she spoke half-heartedly, her voice trailing off.

"Do you think I was truly meant for this, Keeper? I know I am not forced to do this, but why was I called upon if it was not thought that I might be of assistance? I keep telling myself that, and I want to try my best. It's just getting off to a rough start, I suppose."
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:01 am

Music: Fortitude
Spoiler:

Though disheartened upon hearing of the retreat, Keeper could only offer Ruby an expressionless countenance. He was not disappointed in her for having to fall back, nor the fact that the monsters of the manor would undoubtedly regroup and redouble while progress would be set back. Her faltering confidence was what must be rectified before anything else. "It matters not what I think, Ruby," the Keeper uttered. "What matters is that you must keep faith in yourself and your abilities. Yes, I understand that these fiends are capable of terrifying might - I have seen the likes of them for myself. And yes, our numbers are dwarfed in comparison to theirs, especially with what little supplies we have. However... the battle always starts with oneself. If you allow yourself to hold doubt in your heart, then you have already conceded to defeat. What's more... you must take your allies into consideration. They will look to you for guidance as their leader. If you cannot believe in yourself, then how can they trust you with their lives? The lives of the townspeople are at stake as well, and should Aequinoctium fall who knows how far their corrupted touch will spread."

"If you give everything you have in what you do, then none can ask any more of you. You aren't alone in this. I'm sure your comrades in arms wish to see you succeed as well, for victory is a shared splendor. You have me as well. I will assist you however I can, whether you wish to engage in what wealth of knowledge I can provide, or if you simply need an ear to spill your sorrows to. I am here."
Vergil
Vergil
Void Sleeper
Void Sleeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:34 pm

"Yes, yes you are absolutely right," Ruby affirmed resolutely as she put a fist against her heart, shaking visibly. "It is far too early in this tribulation to be filled with such doubt. I came here to offer hope to this land and its people and when next I venture into that manse, I will light it up like a beacon, or I will fizzle out like a dying star. But with the faith I have in myself and my newfound compatriots, I believe we can come out of it alive and successful. This is but the first step."

Ruby bowed her head and made for the exit, stopping briefly. "It means a lot to me to hear you say all that. Thank you for listening. You have offered me more than you know." She was about to step forward, but halted herself, her heart skipping a beat.

"And one more thing. Though confident now, should...should anything happen to me and we do not get another chance to speak, do know that it has been the greatest pleasure meeting you, Keeper." That said, she rushed away from the sacristy, a blistering adamance overtaking her, her mind set on victory and triumph. With naginata in hand she would slay the vile cretins dwelling in the darkness and bring forth that hope she endeavored to share with everyone.

Wandering the streets of Aequinoctium, Ruby realized she hadn't set up a place to board. She had no idea where an inn might be and instead of continuing to wander around aimlessly, she decided to venture into the tavern to find Raul and perhaps ask him what she should do about shelter for the night. She walked through the entrance and approached the counter as she had when she first entered looking for allies.

"Hey Raul," Ruby greeted with a warm smile. She definitely looked worse for wear, and she was starting to feel the beating she had received earlier quite more significantly than she had before. She hadn't dressed any of her wounds. She was going to need a nice bath.

"Do you have any idea where I might be able to stay the night? I...obviously have some things to tend to, and I need a good night's rest."
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:24 pm

Much to nobody's surprise, as Ruby walked in the tavern, Albert and his fellow cohorts were still making utter fools of themselves. They laughed and lazily drank away as they hung about, as they settled down to hear Albert speak. "...And so there I was, surrounded by a pack of Flare Hounds led by a fearsome werewolf. They were no match for me! I sent them all packing all by myself! You should have seen me! Drove that howling beast with my own bare hands! Ha!" The rest of the tavern patrons cheered and laughed in an uproar as if it were the greatest story ever told, while Raul sighed in annoyance. "Bah. That's the forty-third time this night he's told that story, and those bumbling louts all act as though it's the first time they ever heard it every time," he grumbled.

Raul's expression picked up as he saw Ruby walk in and express her need for shelter. "Mh? Ya need a place to stay? Why... you can stay here for the night if ya really want. Just go upstairs, there's a hallway of rooms where I let my mercenaries sleep, and you'll find the washroom at the end of the hall. Just so you know, this place still ain't got a roof so if it rains uh... just hope it doesn't rain. Just pick an empty room and claim it, they're all the same. Kristeva from your team is staying in the room second-most to the end, so feel free to say hi to her if ya want. She's a real nice lass, but for some reason I get chilly whenever I'm around her. I swear my nipples will cut through my shirt if I had to endure an entire conversation with that woman - good thing she ain't much fer talkin'. Speaking of Kristeva, she told me the trouble you were havin' back at the Lorekeeper's manor, and judgin' by the look of ya it looks like you've had one hell of a night. Not to worry though. First thing in the mornin' I want you to find me. I've got somethin' fer ya that'll help you put those uglies in the dirt. I'll be behind this door." Raul pointed back at a wooden cellar door behind the tavern's counter. "Alright, that should be about it, I've talked your ear off for long enough. Get some rest, Ruby, we all got work to do."
Vergil
Vergil
Void Sleeper
Void Sleeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:55 pm

Ruby really wanted to give Albert what for but she held her tongue. Raul also expressed his displeasure, and the agreement between the two was enough for her...for now. That Albert had best watch his tongue. After the horrors she faced today, he would be mincemeat, begging for his life at the end of her blade.

"I appreciate your kindness, Raul," Ruby replied and bowed her head slightly. "We'll have to do something about that roof of yours at some point," she commented, not too worried about the elements. If she had to build a tent over her bed then so be it. She certainly had the materials and skill to do so. It would probably be better for the place to have a roof though. Maybe it would draw in more customers for good ol' Raul.

"Something for me? Let me tell you, Raul, those creatures are something from the worse corners of nightmares. If you have anything to help aid in their extermination, I will gladly take it and make good use of it. Again, you show such great kindness. We do have a long road ahead of us though don't we?" She gave Raul a warm smile and started to head up to find a room in which to sleep.

"Have a good night, Raul."

With that, Ruby proceeded upstairs, passing by what was supposed to be Kristeva's room according to Raul. She stopped in her tracks a few feet past the door and backtracked, raising her hand to give it a knock. It was getting late. Ruby wondered if the woman had retired yet. Taking a deep breath, she rapped firmly on the door.
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:30 pm

"Think nothing of it, sleep well," Raul replied as he went back to cleaning up the tavern. As Ruby climbed up the stairs his voice could be heard one last time shouting at the patrons. "ALRIGHT, YA BUMS. IT'S LIGHTS OUT FOR THE MERCS, SO THAT MEANS Y'ALL GOTTA GIT. GO ON THEN. I'LL BE OPENIN' UP TOMORROW AT THE SAME TIME." The man truly knew how to speak like a champion. The floorboards of the upper corridor creaked as Ruby walked, but remained stable enough to support the entire second floor. Within a few moments of knocking, the door had opened to reveal Kristeva, with a dark blue blanket wrapped all around her body so that only her face and the frontal locks of her hair were visible.

Behind her was her room, already decorated and furnished to her liking. There was a large, powder blue tapestry that was handwoven and neatly spread across the floor, and on top of it was a luxuriously grand featherbed, also of azure shades and affixed with a wooden frame around it to be equipped with curtains that emulated the very midnight sky. Unlike the untidy arrangement of stone to form the tavern's room walls, the walls of Kristeva's room had been layered over with meticulously crafted marble tiling. It was almost palatial and breathtaking, as the silvery moonlight peaked in through the arched balcony window and struck a crystal ornament she had placed on a mahogany nightstand, allowing it to reflect speckles of tiny prismatic lights against the canvas of the walls. In the corner was Kristeva's armor, mounted on an iron stand. Raul mentioned all rooms were the same, but if Ruby were to peek into the rooms on either side of Kristeva's, she would find that they would be of minimalist quality. The other rooms were only equipped with beds made of straw, and the standard wooden flooring and stone walls that matched the rest of the tavern. Meanwhile, there was a collection of porcelain dolls dressed in silk dresses and miniature bonnets arranged on top of a large, locked white chest. Chances were, that Kristeva had put this altogether herself.

"Oh, Ruby," she greeted in her wistful, almost ethereal voice. "I didn't know you were staying in the tavern as well. Is there something I can do for you?"
Vergil
Vergil
Void Sleeper
Void Sleeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:06 pm

As much as the woman hated to admit, Ruby's jaw hung open, her mouth agape. Kristeva herself was...well, Ruby wasn't quite used to seeing her without her armor. The room beyond, however, was what caught Ruby's attention the most. Raul had mentioned that all the rooms were similar, but she was sure that her own room would definitely NOT be like this one. All the blue and the trinkets, dolls and tapestry...where had it all come from? Did Kristeva really lug all of this stuff with her? And set it all up in the tavern? The beautiful marble tile walls though...did she really do that herself? Everything was so extravagant. This was the sort of thing she might have expected of a room Genevieve might be staying in.

"H-Hey," Ruby greeted nervously. It was a bit chilly and she shivered. "I didn't really have anywhere else to go. Raul said I could have one of the rooms up here," she said. "I won't keep you for long; I know you're probably tired from today as am I. I just wanted to say thank you for remaining so calm and collected in the midst of just about everything. You're so unyielding and I can't help but admire that. So...yes. Just know that I am very grateful to count you as an ally."
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:35 pm

"I am merely performing my duty to protect and fight alongside you, and by extension our other comrades-in-arms, just as you had chosen us to do," Kristeva's voice lulled. "I would not be worthy were I to lose my composure in battle, for it would cloud my judgment and cause me to perform poorly. I do worry about the others though, as they seem to be making greater enemies of each other than the ones we are supposed to set out to destroy. What Movak said earlier has made me uneasy as well... are we really just fodder armed with blades whose sole purpose is to be thrown at their kind in hopes that humanity will one day triumph after generations of sacrifices, cast away like spent torches? The thought has been on my mind since we departed after our retreat."

She promptly shook her head. "Regardless, if it truly is the only way then I shall follow regardless. Whether my life made a difference in the end... I suppose that is for history to decide."
Vergil
Vergil
Void Sleeper
Void Sleeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:12 am

Ruby nodded as she listened to Kristeva's words. They made a lot of sense, and to be honest, Ruby should take them to heart. She felt at times that even though she was able to think logically even in the heat of battle, there were times when her true humanity would break through. She would have to try harder to suppress that for the sake of her fellow fighters.

"Movak has a point in a way," Ruby said solemnly, but tapped a finger against her chin in thought. "It could be that--that we are just martyrs for the cause. But that would only come about from our deaths. The way I see it we can either fall as martyrs or walk away as heroes. The only way to stop us from becoming sacrifices and paving the way in bones and blood for future generations of more sacrifices is to rise above the challenges presented to us and quash the menace at hand." Ruby sighed and let her shoulders droop. She looked down. Her dress was a mess. Today was certainly not a step in the right direction for that path to heroism.

"Easier said than done? Sure. But it's doable. That's what we have to keep hoping for right?" Ruby extended her hand to Kristeva. "I think as long as we're together, we'll be able to do what needs to be done. What say you, Kristeva? Shall we do our best to brave the dangers of the foul and nightmarish?"
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:08 pm

"You shall have my aid so long as I draw breath, Lady Ruby," Kristeva pledged, the earnest look in her eyes proving her words sincere. "Though if I were to fall, Raul has said that there are plenty who are willing and able to replace me. So do not be saddened if my life is ultimately bound to be lost for your cause." When Ruby held out her hand towards her, Kristeva gave a blank look at it as if the gesture was completely alien to her. She was uncertain of how to respond to Ruby reaching out to her, so after a few seconds of awkward silence, Kristeva moved back into her room and unlocked the white chest in the corner to retrieve an object from it.

Kristeva walked back up to the doorway where Ruby was standing and placed a carved totem in the shape of an owl into Ruby's hand. Blinking once, she looked back up and stared at Ruby, as if she were trying to read her face to see how she was supposed to react. What a strange woman she was.

-Obtained Owl Totem
Vergil
Vergil
Void Sleeper
Void Sleeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:46 am

Ruby's mouth twitched as Kristeva left her hanging to go and fetch an apparent trinket. The icy woman placed the trinket in Ruby's hand, and there was an awkward silence. The woman figured that Kristeva had completely missed the point of the handshake but the offering of the gift was nice.

"Where I come from, we extend hands to shake hands with another person, but I greatly appreciate this gift, Kristeva. It, along with your aid, are things I will cherish immensely. Thank you," Ruby said warmly and bowed her head. "I think I'll let you be for now. I need to get cleaned up and retire myself. Good night, Kristeva."

With that said, Ruby took her new little totem and headed to an empty room not too far away. The night sky was clearly seen overhead as there was no roof. Compared to Kristeva's room, this room was...extremely lackluster to put nicely. There was a chest for storage at the foot of a single bed. There was a splintered wooden nightstand to the side of the bed, and honestly not much else. Ruby didn't have that many belongings anyway. Before getting too settled, she dropped off what she had and went to clean herself up, spending a lot more time in the bath than she would have liked.

After shuffling back to her room, Ruby collapsed on the bed. All the aches and pains from the earlier battle were now in full effect and she hurt pretty bad. She had dressed her wounds, but that would only ensure they healed nicely. The pain was something that would stick around. However, even though the bed wasn't that comfortable, it was still enough to lull her into a quick sleep.

Ruby awoke a bit past dawn. She was even more sore than she was when she went to sleep but she managed to stumble out of bed and put on her regular battle clothes. She strapped on her naginata and made sure she had all the supplies she needed before heading out of her room and downstairs. She did not know who would already be down there, and who would take their sweet time, but she was about to find out.
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:42 pm

The morning scene of the tavern took a different turn from how it looked the night before. Albert and his clique had long left the premises as per Raul's demand, and instead a new crowd had come to replace them. Common townsfolk, rugged mercenaries, and even visitors from unknown origins had filled the room, giving of a lively atmosphere. Though they all seemed still blissfully ignorant of the dangers that waited below, it was a peaceful sight; a happy moment to remind Ruby of what she was fighting for. Several patrons gathered in a circle in the corner to smoke from an argilah, while others sat at the tables and conversed among each other of all the busy happenings of the town and their travels.

Behind the counter, Raul's presence had been replaced by a young, lithe woman of Ruby's age with flowing noir-colored hair. Her crimson eyes were like red spinels complimented by a pair of spectacles perched gently in front of her face. Her clothes were unusual, unlike anything the townspeople or mercenaries of Aequinoctium wore, dressing herself in a leather vermilion crop jacket that was worn over a long-sleeved black top that exposed her midriff. Below her black shorts were leather stockings and combat boots, both with orange embroidered details designed into them. Continuing along the theme, she had a pair of twin single-edged blades also of black and orange chroma chained together at the hilts and fastened onto her back by a belt.

She was greeting the patrons and serving them coffee as opposed to ale, the aromatic fragrance drifting about and tempting all with its alluring scent. Off to another table was Movak, Kristeva, and Genevieve, as they had all shown up as per Ruby's instruction the night prior. Movak and Genevieve seemed to be avoiding eye contact, while Kristeva was enjoying a cup of hot chocolate. For the most part, Movak seemed to have recovered from the injuries he had sustained, though it was hard to tell seeing as how his body was already bearing scars from before the excursion. Genevieve sighed as she tried to brush the hair that was out of place back in line, and straightened out her dress. None of them looked too thrilled about having to go back to the estate.
Vergil
Vergil
Void Sleeper
Void Sleeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:07 pm

Ruby was greeted with a blast of fragrance as she entered the ground floor of the tavern. It could only have come from the warm rich scent of delicious coffee, and boy was it better smelling than the thick reek of ale the previous night accompanied by Albert's cloying voice telling false stories of glory that did not rightfully belong to him. She was definitely glad she didn't have to put up with his annoying ass this early in the morning. She gestured to her party, who looked greatly unenthusiastic, letting them know that she would be a moment and turned to the counter instead. An odd-looking woman was manning the counter now, and Ruby caught sight of the door Raul said to go through. She didn't just want to barge in, however.

"Excuse me, good morning," Ruby said to the woman behind the counter, bowing her head in respect and greeting. "Raul said last night that he would have something for me this morning and he said that he would be through that door. Would it be all right if I went in?"
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:52 am

Music: Trashy To Classy
Spoiler:

"Ohhhhh, you must be the uh... Ambassador-lady that Raul was talking about. So fetch," the young woman returned with a peculiar sociolect. She adjusted her glasses as to take a good look at Ruby and raised her eyebrows in approval. "Mmm... red is totes your color. I feel, I feel. Orange is definitely the cat's pajamas, though. No contest. So um... what did you want again? Oh right! You wanted to see Raul. Doy. Lemme go get him for you." She moved from behind the counter and gave the door three good knocks.

"WHOZITS?!" Raul's voice boomed from behind.
"IT'S CARMEN," the young woman shouted back, her voice picking up sass.
"GO AWAY."
"YA GOT A VISITOR."
"I GOT WHAT?"
"VISITOR. YA GOT ONE."
"WHAT?"
"VISITOR!"
"A VISITOR?!"
"YEEEE."
"WHAT'S THE PASSWORD?!"
"OI, WHY DO YOU NEED A PASSWORD FER?"
"PASS. WORD."
"GRYPHONS DON'T EXIST."
"THAT'S THE OLD PASSWORD. WHAT'S THE NEW PASSWORD?"
"OPEN THE DOOR. YA CHAZZWAZZER. POPPYCOCK GRUMPY. COTTAGE CHEESE CONE."
"Alright, let them in," Raul conceded, his voice subsiding into his normal tone.

"Raul will like, see you now," the woman informed Ruby as the sound of the door unlocking clicked. Ruby would find that inside, this room wasn't entirely different from the other rooms upstairs. It was noticeably larger, and with a stone forge built into a wall, but that was only difference other than a large painting above the bed which depicted a younger Raul standing beside a woman holding an infant - presumably his wife and child. Raul greeted Ruby with a hearty laugh and a pat on the shoulder.  "Ruby! Welcome back! Hope ya slept well. Err... don't mind the little exchange I just had with Carmen, it's just how we joke with each other. Now as promised, I have a little something for ya." Raul brought forth a steel case and opened it, revealing a metal polearm that unfolded with a flick, showing off a red scythe-blade and a built in gun barrel. It's elegant design was far more advanced than any flintlock the watchmen of the town carried. Next to it, were several cartridges that were meant to be inserted into the weapon to feed ammunition into it.

"Ain't she a beaut? Spent all night crafting this from a strange book that Keeper lent to me. This here's called the Machina Gunscythe - it's a prototype, but I'm sure it'll put in more work on those creatures than your average ol' gardening tool... no offense to yer naginata there. The book came with a weird crystal that'll emit noise when struck. I'm assuming it's instructions on how to operate this thing, so let's see here..." Raul grabbed his hammer and brought it down on a yellow-ish gem that was sitting on an anvil. Upon being hit by the force of the hammer, the gemstone vibrated and the following was heard.

Spoiler:

"So err... yeah. I'm sure... you'll figure it out no problem," Raul sputtered, bewildered by the strange message. "Anyway. This here's a special weapon in that there are a few replaceable components. What I mean is, as you find materials and forge better parts, you may never need another weapon again. If you find anything I can work with, I can make weapons like these for your allies as well, and better components to make sure your weapons keep up with you as you get stronger too - for a price of course. This particular weapon has a unique property about it in which its cartridges will refill themselves with ammunition as you fight through hordes of enemies. It's a little hard to explain how that works, but trust me that's just how it functions."

-Ruby received the Machina Gunscythe!

(The Machina Gunscythe is a customizeable weapon that is made up several components, each with their own stats and effects. So long as you update the components using better forged materials that you obtain, custom weapons will most of the time prove better than ordinary weapons or weapons that do not have customized parts. In addition, custom weapons may provide additional attacking mechanics as well as their own set of unique skills. Abilities provided by custom weapons are called W-Abilities, or Weapon Abilities. When equipped, the equipment section of your profile should look like this:

Weapon: Machina Gunscythe - An advanced scythe fitted with a high-caliber gun barrel crafted for extreme combat.  (Range: 2 cells)
Mechanics:
-(Components)
---Handle: Folding Grip - First attack of each battle deals 30% more damage
---Blade: The Scarlet Letter - +2 ATK, +3% Crit
---Barrel: Snapdragon - +10% Accuracy
---Cartridge: Blood Magazine - Ammo Gauge +1, Stores 1 Reload every 6 turns in battle that the user didn't use a W-Ability.
---Enchantment: (None)
Armor: Red Dress - An elegant red dress that is more for show than for actual defense.
Accessory: Silk Ribbon - Fanciful ribbon made of a special silk that inspires vitality.

Once in battle, Ruby's stats will be displayed as:

Ruby (Mercenary)
HP: 25/25
MP: 15/15
Ammo: ⌖⌖⌖⌖⌖⌖⌖⌖(⌖)
RL: 3/3 (0/6)
PTY: <-----/----->
ATK: 6
DEF: 4
INT: 1
SPR: 2
EVADE: 10%
CRIT: 8% (18%)
MOVE: 3
DBR: 66%

Once you update your profile to equip this weapon, please add a section for W-Abilities between your A-Abilities and S-Ability and add the following skills:

+Quick Act Shot: Fires a single round from the barrel. 80% Atk Dmg that can be chained to each hit from a basic attack. Range: Uses weapon's range if chained, otherwise 4. Consumes 1 Ammo. Machina Gunscythe only.

+Honeycomb: The user cleaves the scythe into the target and blasts them at point-blank range. 130% Atk Dmg and then deals 15% of the target's Missing HP as extra damage. Range: Adjacent. Consumes 2 Ammo and usable only once per reload. Machina Gunscythe only.

+Full Auto: The user fires the remaining rounds of the cartridge in desperation, rapidly tearing through an enemy. The barrel then overheats, requiring time before the weapon can be reloaded. 100% Atk Dmg + 20% for every ammo consumed after the first, ignoring 20% Def. Range: 4 Cells. Consumes ALL Ammo and disables reloading and reload recharging for 5 turns.
Vergil
Vergil
Void Sleeper
Void Sleeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:08 pm

Ruby was thoroughly confused through this interaction with the woman. Orange was better than red? Since when? Ruby scowled but the woman, Carmen, was going to check to see if Raul would see her so she bit her tongue. Carmen and Raul seemed to have what could only have been called a "healthy exchange" before Carmen delightfully informed her that Raul would see her then. Giving the woman a half-hearted thanks, Ruby went through the door and entered the room beyond.

It looked much like the one Ruby was sleeping in, but there were a few personal touches including a picture of a younger Raul with his supposed family. He was quite handsome in his youth, not to say he wasn't handsome now. Ruby pondered on where that family might be currently. Probably in a different town far away from here seeing as how the place was so dangerous. That had to have been hard for the fellow.

"Well met, Raul; I slept like a log, trust me," Ruby assured, nodding in understanding at his comment on the exchange he had with Carmen. All in good fun, yes, right. When Raul opened the case and revealed her new weapon, her jaw dropped.

"You made this yourself? This is incredible, my word, I've not ever seen the likes of it before," Ruby marveled in complete awe as she picked the weapon up and felt its different components. It definitely was a lot heavier than her naginata, but it would be pretty similar to it seeing as how they were both reach weapons. As she continued to inspect it, she listened to the strange message recorded on the crystal. It basically instructed her to slice enemies to shreds and blast them with bullets. Simple enough.

"Well...that was indeed interesting. I think I'll get a good feel for it in no time. You have my great thanks, Raul. And if I find any materials for components, I'll definitely bring them to you."

Ruby equips the Machina Gunscythe!

"Thanks again, Raul! The others are waiting so by your leave." She bowed her head to him as she departed and rejoined her allies at the table.

"Good morning, everyone. I know it's not going to be an ecstatic day, but take solace in the fact that we know what we're dealing with now. Knowledge is a great asset, let us keep that in mind. Is everyone ready? If so, we may go."
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:42 pm

The party rose from their seats as Ruby approached, ready to depart once more for the bedeviled manor. The group's supplies had long since spoiled, however the situation was about to be addressed. Movak presented a large pouch that he had been carrying and revealed its contents. "Since the food the Keeper had given us was no longer any good, I spent some time hunting out in the woods where I slept last night. I have caught and prepared some venison, drying the meat into jerky so that it may last us through the journey. I also have with me some wooden sticks should we need them."

Genevieve dusted the hems of her dress and shared her experience on the other night. "I for one had trouble finding a place to stay the night; a proper lady can't sleep outside like a wild animal, like some people after all, she began. "Fortunately a kind tailor family let me stay in their shop, which they apparently also lived in. The experience was edifying in revealing the hardships of the commoners of these parts. I had no idea how insolvent and destitute life out here could be! For supper the family shared meager portions of stale bread and flavorless soup, and we all slept in the most uncomfortable beds. I don't know how anyone could live like they do. They were... kind to me, though... and the way their family cared for each other was heartwarming. Before I left for the tavern this morning, they gave me some rolls of cloth from their shop as a parting gift. I suppose we could fashion these around the wooden sticks Movak brought to use as torches." She set the multi-colored rolls onto the table for Ruby and then turned to Kristeva. "What about you, Lady Kristeva? Have you anything to share with the rest of us?"

Kristeva nodded and placed a small wooden box with a crank before them. As she turned the crank, the box began to play a simple tune while Movak and Genevieve watched on in absolute perplexity. After several more turns, a toy clown sprang out from under the lid and Genevieve let out a scream so loud that she became the object of every tavern patron's attention, quickly placing her hands to her mouth in embarrassment upon the sudden realization. Kristeva let out a giggle - something nobody had ever heard from her thus far.

Did she just... laugh? Movak thought, the idea somehow almost bringing a smile to his own face.

-Obtained Food x8
-Obtained Torches x6
Vergil
Vergil
Void Sleeper
Void Sleeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:02 pm

Ruby wasn't afraid to laugh as Genevieve elicited a scream so wondrous that it garnered the eyes of the tavern-goers. Kristeva's offering was probably the best out of all of the items granted, even if the food and makeshift torches would prove to be more useful in the long run. This was exactly what they needed to start things off, though Ruby was quite sure that Genevieve probably could have done without it.

"Kristeva, you never cease to astonish me. Genevieve, you act like you've just seen a grotesque monster; you should be a bit more alert, hm?" Ruby teased her mercilessly. With a reaction like that, how could she possibly resist?
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:56 pm

"Pardon my skittishness, Lady Ruby, but after the events that had unfolded last night I may still be a little on edge," Genevieve justified herself duly. "I just wasn't expecting that... thing to suddenly jump out of the box like that. For all I know it could have been some object of cursed sorcery!" Movak raised an eyebrow. "Were you not given simple toys as a child? No wonder you're so overbearing," he declared. Genevieve was already becoming frustrated; it didn't seem like a hard thing to make her. "As if you're one to talk!" she blurted back, trying her hardest not to yell as to have all eyes on her again. "Are you only this talkative when you want to antagonize someone? For all I know, it could have been an evil device. I don't know any of you - I even tried to get to know you, and you pushed me away! You all very well could be mad, and I would have no way of knowing."

The rugged Chimeramorph could only turn his face to look at Kristeva, who was still sitting down at the table with a doe-eyed expression. "Fine," Movak conceded, turning back to Genevieve. "I'll admit you may have a point; that you don't really know us, and that none of us have really made an effort for camaraderie. But I have my own reasons for that and I don't wish to indulge. If you really don't trust us, however... then why don't you go on home?" What he had to say didn't seem to quell her disgruntlement in the slightest. "Hmph! And leave the rest of you alone to fend against those hideous creatures? You've all seen me; I felled a few of those creatures last night when we all fought in the manor. It is the duty of the aristocracy to protect the weak and the commoners, and I will not abandon that commitment. Besides... I... I can't go home.

"Tch, again with that uppity trash. For the sake of stopping this senseless squabble and sparing myself another headache from your voice, I'm not going to bother feeding into what will only lead to us wasting more time here when we still have a job to do. So I think the best thing to do right now is to get on with it. If you're aren't leaving then you may as well come with us."

"Fine. I will say no more. Let's go then."

The party's consideration at last shifted back to Ruby. "Now that we've gotten that taken care of, we should set off," Movak suggested. "There any place you want to stop by before heading back to the manor, or are we heading there as the crow flies?
Vergil
Vergil
Void Sleeper
Void Sleeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:26 am

"I think we're going to go ahead and take off. I've spoken to the only people I've wished to speak to already, and it seems we're decent on supplies at the very least, granted I think we'll be a lot better of this time around," Ruby explained now that the squabbling was finished. Movak was a little harsh but he could teach Genevieve a thing or two. She was a fierce combatant but as a person she was lacking. She let her aristocratic philosophy blind her and make her something that she wasn't. Who was she really? Instead of going by the circumstances of her birth, she should let her true personality come out. What was that about her not even being able to go home? Was she kicked out? Or was her home razed and family killed? Perhaps looking into her past would be a little bit easier than prying into Kristeva and Movak's, the latter especially.

"If you are all ready, then let us move out. Brace yourself for what is to come, for you already have a good idea." With that said, she waved a hand and led her group through the town and off to the hellish manse.
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Sun May 01, 2016 9:17 pm

The return trip to the Lorekeeper's once humble estate was just as quiet as the one before. Genevieve kept her word to the very letter, not relenting so much as a single utterance, while Movak went back to being his usual self. Nobody could ever guess whatever was going on through Kristeva's mind, as the woman would prove to be an enigma wrapped under several mysteries, and tied together by another enigma. It didn't look like she wished to be a secretive person, but perhaps no one ever took the time to try and get a straight answer out of her. It didn't do much for the party's confidence by the fact that they had to retreat after the first skirmish in the manor, but the Ambassador's decision was final. Movak stated that the fiends would regroup in stronger numbers, but perhaps Ruby's new weapon would prove to be the equalizing factor.

Upon arrival past the iron gates, a young man was awaiting by the manor door. His hair was as cerise as autumn leaves, and his eyes were bright pools of cobalt. His lanky figure leaned against the wall, in his black jacket that had a short fur trim around the collar. His clothing matched a foreign fashion almost similar to the style Carmen was wearing. He donned a steel vambrace on his right wrist with a jewel embedded in it, and on his back he carried a strange sword. The composition of the weapon seemed to be the same style as Ruby's newly carried weapon, with intricate, ornate details.

Music: Heroic Right
Spoiler:

"We meet at last," he spoke as he took several steps forward. "You must be the so-called 'Ambassador' I've heard so much about. The Keeper and Raul talk a lot about you, and how you'll save this land. Looking at you now, I've never heard a bigger joke. You? It can't be. I know of your failings - how the Keeper had to be the one to save you from that pack of Flare Hounds, and how you had to run away with your tail between your legs after surviving single fight against those creatures. And what's that you're carrying? Raul must have really put a lot of confidence in you if he went out of his way to craft you a weapon that's too good for you. What a waste of time and effort for a failure. Heh, you look mad. Sorry, but there's no way you could ever be the savior for these people. If you want to prove me wrong however..."

The young man gripped the hilt of his sword and unsheathed it, revealing its black blade that had a red edge. "Fight me here and now without the help of your friends. I want to see if you're truly capable of holding your own."

{Accept the challenger's duel?}
>Yes
>No
Vergil
Vergil
Void Sleeper
Void Sleeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade Sun May 01, 2016 9:56 pm

Ruby wasted no time in taking a few steps forward away from her allies when they had reached the manor only to meet a very pretentious asshole who thought to drag her name through the dirt as if her soul and mind hadn't taken enough of a beating let alone her body.

"Let me tell you something, fuckface," Ruby said in a surprisingly calm manner as she reached behind her to retrieve her weapon, entering a battle stance. "Recently, I've had a lot of strife to contend with, but seeing as how apparently you knew all of that, I'll spare you the damn details. All I'll say is that I'm the one busting my ass to save this place and what have you done? Just stand here by the manor thinking you're better than everyone else? Big help you are. Yeah, my first ventures didn't go so well; they were very tough, and I did falter. The only thing I can do is learn from my mistakes. I did not back down from the task yet. I am still trying to push forward. But if you think you can do this better than me, then bring it on because I would love to see you try!"

Ruby accepts the challenger's duel with gusto.
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next