Eternal Dream
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Crack in the Sky

+2
Vergil
Gist
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A Crack in the Sky Empty A Crack in the Sky

Post by Durn Mon May 16, 2016 12:18 am

Do you remember what it was like? Before we were created?

Before we were created?

Before the Angel's Touch. When we were natural. Do you remember that?

Ah-...

There was an orbit, you know. We were a circular shape. We spun, in circles, and circles. Water would flow, from rivers to oceans. Animals ate other animals, and other animals ate those animals that were doing the eating. Everything was circular. It was all orbital. Do you remember?

You don't have to say anything. Nobody remembers.

At the dawn of the Angel's Touch they unraveled us like string and spooled us back together somewhere around here. The sky is different, don't you think? Like a concrete slab running perpendicular to the horizon. Things are flat now. Water doesn't flow. Animals don't eat to eat but to kill. There are beginnings and there are ends. Nothing goes forever anymore.

All things, in all forms, under all light, are given shape. A song must begin. Thunder must crash from above. The sun must rise. Things have always been that way.

Well... it's different, though! Don't you feel it?

Feel it?

It's like the Angels took the world and punched it around. Bent it at the spine. Like we could just walk off the rim of the planet and plunge into an eternity of space and stars. Isn't that wild? Poetic, but terrifying. It's different. You can't say that it isn't. It is. I know it is.

Maybe, if we go far enough, like, over there, you see? Ran all the way to the horizon and squeezed between the cracks in the sky. We could reach an end. Wouldn't that be something?

It would be.

Why d'you think that crack is even there to begin with? If the angels are so perfect, why is there a crack?

Maybe it's a window.
Durn
Durn
Hermit Sage
Hermit Sage

Back to top Go down

A Crack in the Sky Empty Re: A Crack in the Sky

Post by Durn Wed May 18, 2016 8:15 pm

At the end of Earth came Binah and the ten Divine Emanations, who shattered the world and recreated it anew. This event, known famously across the land as The Angel's Touch, covered vast stretches of land in a lethal miasma referred to as Angel's Breath. Many inhaled the Breath and recoiled in horror as their skin burned away and their bones turned to jelly. Trees turned to stone and their leaves evaporated into the air. Mountains turned inward and dove into the ground. Seas burst into endless flames and skies petrified to cement. The sun flamed a burning red, its crimson hue leaking through the darkening atmosphere.

Humans pleaded for mercy, a single breath of life to keep them alive on a dying land. A sole Divine Emanation, known traditionally as Hesed, heard their prayers. A tear fell from its eye to the land below, sapphire and radiant in nature. Its magical properties reversed the flow of miasma and repelled it from the few remaining inhabitants of the world. Hesed became the Divine Emanation of love, kindness, and understanding, a Divine Emanation aiming to repair the world with gentle embrace.

Humans have embarked upon the task of reclaiming a lost world from the Divine Emanations and the Angels. They built a new city, J'haal-esed, around the fallen tear, and have since begun to mine its properties and relocate it to scattered settlements across the land.

Every now and then, violent earthquakes shake the very foundation of the world. Many think it might be the Divine Emanations at war, fighting amongst themselves as the fate of humankind dangles precariously at the tips of their fingers.

From the highest tower atop the spiraling encampment of Ysa'aeon, one may lean far enough into the horizon, and squint hard enough against the blinding Angel's Breath, to see a blackened crack running up the side of the sky.

A Crack in the Sky

- Chapter 1 -
Shattered and Forgotten Things

New Location Discovered:
Ysa'aeon, of The Painted World of Helya
World: The Shattered Plane
Continent: Akos
Territory: The Painted World of Helya
Image: Ysa'aeon
Soundtrack:
Description: Known as the highest remaining point across the entirety of the Shattered Plane, Ysa'aeon serves as the most reliable producer of wind energy to humankind. While natural gusts come rarely, a skilled clergy of air mages known as The Council of Four Winds capably produces powerful flourishes that keep the city's hundreds of windmills turning. From its highest point, Aeon's Watch, several landmarks are visible, including Hesed's Tear, The Tower of Stars, and, with careful inspection, a mysterious crack that seems to run down the very side of the horizon.
Points of Interest:

• Aeon's Watch - A tower of incredible height looming over the center of Ysa'aeon. A frequent point of hangout for youths.
  • Library - A shanty library with sparse records that have been recovered from the ashes of a dying world. May visit to brush up on knowledge and lore.
  • Temple of Four Winds - The residence of The Council of Four Winds, as well as the location of Ysa'aeon's Hesed Shrine.
  • Town Square - The primary hub location for travelers. Includes several merchant tents and a questing billboard.

~

Town System: While in a safe zone or hub, you will be presented with a list of Points of Interest across the land. Use this opportunity to familiarize yourself with the lore and the lay of the land or just generally develop your character as you see fit. I will begin an instance of interaction at Aeon's Watch with Marie, which any of you all are free to follow up on. The story will evolve naturally from our characters' existence in Ysa'aeon (and by naturally I mean I will force shit to happen before long so).

It was the fourth day of the week. Well, at least, that's what she had learned from her time in Ysa'aeon. The sun never went anywhere, existing only beneath a vast sky of stone that never shifted, glowing an ominous red that poured dim light across the horizon. The only thing that marked the passage of time were the hourly ringings of Ysa'aeon's clock tower, which struck at every hour of every day. The fourth day was always the best day, the day the local frozen treats vendor of The Painted World of Helya tolled his way through Ysa'aeon.

She would set aside some coin each week to purchase a cone of lavender ice cream for both herself and her good friend Amaranth. Afterward they'd climb to the peak of Aeon's Watch and observe the vast expanse of land before them. The Painted World of Helya was expansive and wide, a vast collection of grayed hilltops flooded in petrified trees. Ruby leaves, fragile to the touch, burst through their stone bark which gave the forest an almost autumnal aesthetic.

"It's pretty up here, isn't it?" Marie said, "You nearly forget things are the way they are. It's almost as if we're frozen in an eternal October."
Durn
Durn
Hermit Sage
Hermit Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed May 18, 2016 8:45 pm

The fourth day of the week. Everyone else seemed delighted by the fourth day of the week – it meant ice cream and good tidings – but one individual, in particular, had no energy for cheer, least of all today. It was hard to be full of anything other than frustration when pain burrowed its way into the back of her eye sockets. This blows, Rose thought vehemently. She rubbed her temples. It did not help.

Fuck me, she groaned mentally, removing her perfectly manicured fingernails from their place on her forehead. Perhaps it was not the purest thought to have in the temple, but she could not help herself. It fucking hurt! To make matters worse, it had not let up all week – this migraine had been headbanging her skull for what felt like an eternity. Rose sighed and looked around. Very few people were nearby and not one of them made much, if any, sound. She tried to ease her mind, at least it's quiet in here.

A moment of rest.

Then a sudden chill ran up her spine and she almost cursed out loud. Shit! Not a second could pass without something bothering her. No rest for the wicked or so the proverbial saying went. Was she truly wicked though? "Gah! No. No philosophical cr- . . . stuff. It'll just make your head hurt more." Rose clinched the bridge of her nose and took a deep breath. It did not help. At least the clock would not ring any time soon.
Silver
Silver
Prince of Dreams
Prince of Dreams

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Xavier-Rains/314656341904106

Back to top Go down

Post by Zerifachias Wed May 18, 2016 8:49 pm

She waits with her legs hanging over the balcony. Her eyes are closed as she enjoys the faint warmth of the amaranth sun's rays. She turns her head just as a familiar voice calls out to her. The sweet smell of a colorful treat presents itself to her and she accepts the gift graciously and delicately. Golden eyes smile at the cool touch of the frozen cream. Lavender ice cream, a warm sun, and a best friend was all she ever wanted.

They took to the top of Aeon's Watch as they did every fourth day to gaze down upon the petrified world which once flowed with life, rich and vibrant. But in a way, Marie is right, there is a certain beauty to the stone woods and the ruby leaves. Amaranth knew that not all things could be as they once were, not after the calamity, but knowing there could still be some beauty in this world meant there was something worth living for.

"It truly is beautiful," Amaranth agrees, still managing to find sorrow in the midst of her awe. With a friend at her side, she can endure anything, but this perpetual autumn is beginning to suffocate her. "I do miss the spring flowers and the summer heat. I miss the sun's pure rays against my face. But I am glad I won't have to be alone anymore."
Zerifachias
Zerifachias
Totes-Mcgoats
Totes-Mcgoats

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade Wed May 18, 2016 9:03 pm

The pain of the betrayal is a pain I've had quite the intimate experience with. That agony has become a part of me, haunted me as I traipse through a wasteland of destruction wrought by angels and emanations, or so I hear from the din of travelers in the streets. I had one goal to be saved from a horrible past, to collect a powerful artifact from a thief who was hired to steal it, and kill him such that he would never live to tell anyone of what had happened. My mission went flawlessly, and I remember the happiness I felt on that night. It was fleeting and blissful, ignorant and oblivious, but it was real happiness. The person who wanted the artifact was a great friend of mine who saved me, but when I turned over the artifact I was...disowned. I would retrieve no protection from any pursuers who might come after me. I would get nothing for my assistance with the task itself. And I would be banished from the only realm that I could call home, but he enlightened me--told me that I had a home before I came to Garazel, awakened in the One Track Forest. The only thing was that this home was not fit for life any longer, and without a second thought he cast me to it, and so began the bleeding of my heart as the needle of betrayal skewered it without mercy, and life as I knew it, if I ever knew of what life truly was, ended and would begin anew.

The alleyway near the town square of Ysa'Aeon provided such ample shade in a world being engulfed in flame from what used to be calm seas. It provided solace from a sun like a crimson eye staring down at the last survivors of chaos with scorn, paralyzed in a large slab of solid sky that threatened to break and fall upon them. It was quiet in the alleyway--not many others suck refuge. There was much to do in the encampment in terms of selling and trading. Travelers came and went. Humanity had a dire goal to reach, one that would determine whether they would have a suitable home in the future or not. So far their drive and motivation was carrying them far.

A single individual was perched upon a wooden crate in this particular day--the fourth day of the week. The fourth and fifth days were days they took off to rest while the other days were spent looking for work in the only way that they could, through the means of swinging their sword. The Helmsman lay against the side of the nearby building, a large rusty thing with just a slight portion of sharp metal left, enough to cleave a man in two. The blade was immense, after all, and the hilt immaculate, or at least it was in its prime. The regal designs were now eroded and tarnished by weather and wave. The person sitting atop the crate wished to one day see it regain its splendor, but for the moment it would serve its purpose.

Their name was Falrein, a name they weren't even sure was truly theirs, but was one they adopted back in the realm of Garazel. Even now that they had been displaced from that realm and returned home, they decided to keep that name for the sake of a vendetta that would one day need to be addressed, for how long could a person stay miserable before the sadness rises into an uncontrollable bubbling anger? Time would be the test for that.

Falrein hated days off. They were boring. Life had become, in this world, lackluster if one was not being productive in some way. The only reason Falrein took off was to make sure their body was in prime condition to take on the wilds and dangerous tasks they were presented. It was really for their own good. However this day, Falrein was thinking of breaking the rules for once and perhaps taking a mission or doing some looking around on the outskirts of the encampment. They could not remain cooped up in this alley all day, as comfortable as it might have been.

Falrein hopped off the crate and landed on the ground easily, doing a little twirl with a smile on their face as their mind became set. Sitting here was not going to cut it! Their sickly yellow-green eyes gleamed with determination as they reached out to grab their large sword and headed into the town square amidst the merchants, travelers, and tents to see what might be going on in the area today.
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

https://eternaldream.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Durn Wed May 18, 2016 9:59 pm

"Loneliness would kill in a world like this," Marie said, "I can't imagine it, not here. Not like this." She looked to Amaranth and saw as her eyes dimmed with a heavy nostalgia. It was a nostalgia that she, too, often felt. She took her free hand and pressed it gently against hers, rubbing her thumb softly around the valleys of her knuckles. The way the dome of stone atop the earth shaded out the sun left everything particularly cold, yet Marie always found a startling warmth in the bodies of others. It was a welcoming, old warmth that one might find in forgotten, small places, full of fond memories that had been tucked away for a long while.

"But I get how you feel. It's horrible to feel like that, isn't it? To want something that's just... gone?" She continued, "It makes you so vulnerable, and open. That one thing that you miss more than anything else. Throughout the whole Angel's Touch you build all these defenses so that nothing can hurt you, no matter how much you lose. You get so strong, and then you lose this one thing, almost no different from any other stupid thing you've lost, and it feels like you've lost a piece of yourself. Inexplicably. It hurts.

"It hurts."
Marie repeated as she freed her hand to wipe away a tear. She brushed it away and watched as it fell from the tower's edge and faded away into nothing. "Not just in your head, either. It's a real kind of hurt. One that makes you fall over and grab at your stomach. It's a kind of longing-hurt that makes you vomit."

For a long while the two sat in silence, lying out before an eternal horizon that dangled above them, unmoving, covering them in a red shimmer as they watched nothing move.

"What if we left here?" Marie said. "We could do it. We could find some lost things. Maybe there's a spring out there, somewhere. We could find it! I know we could."

~

Town Square:

A recent visit by the traveling frozen goods cart left many townspeople feeling particularly jovial. Large crowds flooded the market, leaving only tiny, shifting spaces through which one could hope to cross. One man bellowed as he drunkenly stumbled to the ground, smashing his ice cream against the pavement. Another, dressed in filthy rags, screamed at passerby townsfolk for food or coin. Another, hooded, prayed to the sky and muttered chants of an impending doomsday.

• Bulletin Board: Acquire quests, which give various rewards upon their completion, here.
  • Eryn the Blacksmith: Purchase or forge combat-based goods here.
  • Marketplace: A variety of miscellaneous stands that may sell an assortment of goods, depending on the day.

~

"Are you troubled, young one?" A hoarse voice called out to Black Rose, "If you are troubled, you've come to the right place." He approached her and stood, observing the large chunk of Hesed's Tear that projected from the ground of the temple, almost like a crystal birthed through the soil of a large cavern. "Are you familiar with the mythology of Hesed? I suppose it's rather difficult to not be."

"Forlorn, compulsory, like a deep river or a dispute calmed by touch and remembrance." He spoke, deeply entranced by the luminescent crystal that stood before him, "Like undine tears, that don't fall, they cascade. Formed formless. The measure of simple and devastating things, like warm embrace, forgiven sins and Love. Ephemeral and - I beg your pardon my daughter, my words are tangled in the labyrinth of thought. How does one succinctly describe the font from which kindness springs? Such is the mystery of Hesed. Sit a while. Perhaps calmness may come to you."
Durn
Durn
Hermit Sage
Hermit Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Gist Wed May 18, 2016 10:07 pm

The ever-present breeze did not blow within the walls of the Temple of the Four Winds. Elsewhere on the outside of the settlement of Ysa'aeon, some may find that breeze comforting in the heat of the omnipresent red sun that hasn't moved in an age. Within the remaining structures of man, though, Mother Nature had yet to reach inside and take what was hers. Within the Temple, there were various hushed rustlings as people moved slowly and quietly about their business, whether that was to pay tribute to the one saving grace of the settlement or to attend to other matters, and the center of all of the activity was the nave, the ground in which the main flow of traffic went through to get to where they needed to be.

In the center of the nave was a robed individual bent deep in what seemed to be prayer. Silent, the figure did not move, even when the settlement's clock tower bell deeply hammered the current time for all near and far to hear. It was unclear what exactly the figure was doing, all alone in the middle of the floor, but no one seemed to pay the figure any mind, for their business was far more important than this person's. Surely there was a reason that this person was there. As the last note of the clock tower rang throughout the air, the robed figure heaved a sigh, yet still did not move from its place groveling on the floor.

Alas, time marches on, even if the mercy we have been shown may not.

Upon closer inspection, the robed figure seemed to be a male deep in thought. Indeed, the robed figure was a man by the name of Lavotte Stein. The man was nondescript, save for his firm belief of the creation of this era, that this moment of solace was not to last, that what was given can also be taken away with the greatest of ease. There was no reason to think that this moment of peace would last forever, in the man's eyes. This was only a moment's respite of the end of the world as humanity knew it. Without the mercy of Angels, everything would have ground to a halt at the beginning of the end.

A single tear flowed down Lavotte's face as he clasped his hands in seeming prayer. There could be no way to sustain humanity as it had been; things have changed too drastically. Within a single moment, things had shifted to an end.

Only by a miracle of Angels can we be saved...

Suddenly, not so hushed speech came from behind Lavotte, but he took no heed, too engrossed in his own mourning. He did not take that Hesed had spared humanity, for there was no reason why. Nothing came without a price. What price must humanity pay in order to live in a world of Angels?
Gist
Gist
Full Eight Hours
Full Eight Hours

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade Wed May 18, 2016 10:11 pm

The streets now were filled with people. They were people I did not know nor cared for really, but there was an understood empathy between us all given our current situation. The crowded nature of the area reminded me of Yurensburgh, an antiquated metropolis found in Garazel--the scene of the night where I relieved the hourglass from the grasp of the thief's cold, dead body. There was no death here in this sanctuary however. Only life. Perhaps...just maybe, it was a better change of pace.

Falrein squeezed through the dense crowd of people, many enjoying what appeared to be frozen treats no doubt delivered and handed out by the frozen treat vendor who came every fourth day to stir the masses and spread joy through sugary, icy snacks. Falrein had not had the pleasure of trying one; they believed their money was better off saved for something more practical, and so they had relented this entire time. The scent was enticing, and the treats even looked scrumptious, but Falrein would not falter. Besides, the vendor had surely already come and gone.

Falrein's business today would be at the bulletin board where they typically scoured for work, odds and ends business and the like. Anything that required them to bring their sword arm into action was something that fit the bill. It was here that they stood now, scanning the fliers posted upon the board, trying to find something that might catch their interest in particular.
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Thu May 19, 2016 1:22 am

Hope, no matter how little or vain, is never without its worth. Remember this, my son, for it will be your guiding beacon in the darkest abyss.

The verse was one of many scrawled in a paperback chronicle, though many of its pages were either worn or lost from the bindings. Judex scoured back and forth through the pages with his tired eyes - wide pools of an autumn somber. The man's hair was a robust goldenrod, cut short and swept to the side in a fringe. Peeking through his collar behind his clean-shaven jawline and through his sleeves was an ornate tattoo that trailed through the  neck and arms of his lanky body, stopping just at the back of the hands. Aside from the listless expression on his face, his appearance was in fine fettle.

He read the verse again in a soft mutter, his voice winded with his breath easing out of him. Hesed's tear was the last breadcrumb on humanity's plate, a desperate gambit of survival as society's last dangled on the brink of its end. Ysa'aeon was but a vestigial sinew of the world's former grandeur; an ersatz memory, showing no signs of prosperity beyond its sustaining cusps. The singular interstice, the one breach in the sky was indicative of the angels' tenebrous game. Hesed's tear was the last shred of hope, but such hope had yet to show its merit in these bleak days.

Judex wanted answers. Answers to why he was left here all alone. Answers as to why he had these strange powers. All he was given was a trail of vague clues and unfinished pieces, and there was only so much  this colony was willing to divulge. A few weeks of being settled in, he still remembered first waking up in one of the abandoned complexes of one of the town's more forgotten districts with nary a recollection of how he arrived. A place that was antediluvian in nature, only touched by time's desecrating graze.

His search would eventually lead him to the library, a place that called to all manner of curious souls. Closing the threadbare and shoddy chronicle, Judex would begin abrading at the unknown; his finger tracing along the books on the shelves to find something - anything of prominence that would point him in the right direction. He did this as he recited another excerpt from the chronicle; one he had memorized verbatim.

Spoiler:
Vergil
Vergil
Void Sleeper
Void Sleeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Thu May 19, 2016 2:29 pm

"I've been sitting for hours," Rose remarked in a whisper, her tone neither rude nor polite. She looked at the man who had approached her. Her golden eyes softened as she regarded him more carefully. He was the first soul to reach out to her. A dwindling flame of compassion burning in the darkness. "Actually, I've spent the past couple days here," she began, returning her gaze to the large crystal structure. "I've not felt very well recently. I've not been sick per say, but I... well it seems I've been plagued by migraines recently. I thought if I sat here for awhile I might recover more quickly."

Rose resisted the urge to bring a hand to her lips. Those two words had felt particularly numbing as the crossed her lips. They were just words, though. They held no power. Did they not? She shook her head, attempting to shake loose the query in favor of focusing on the crystal. "I was wrong," she continued after a moment, breathing deeply. "It's been four days yet I continue to ail." She shut her eyes tightly, doing her best to ignore the tingling of that final word on her lips.

When she opened her eyes again, her gaze met the man's once more. "I have felt this way often – more often than I would like, honestly. It troubles me. The family with whom I live believe it is an omen of what is to come. I'm not sure I share in their superstitions, but I worry nonetheless." She felt the pressure behind her eyes ease if only slightly. She did not share this with the man. "I don't want them to suffer on my account."
Silver
Silver
Prince of Dreams
Prince of Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Zerifachias Thu May 19, 2016 3:12 pm

Marie's hand felt cold to the touch, but Amaranth's skin was always warm, like the glow of the sun's heat stuck to her. She listened, saw the tear, and felt her own sorrow intertwine with Marie's, just for a moment. She let Marie stroke her hand and the silence extended between both girls. How close they had become after the calamity. How much closer still they could grow. Whatever might happen, Amaranth knew they would be together until the end of time, whenever that might occur.

At Marie's next words, Amaranth could not help herself. She laughed, her voice delicate and sweet in the air as giggles bubble up in her chest. "Oh Marie," Amaranth giggles, "you really do know how to cheer me up every time. Thank you, but being here with you is enough for me." Amaranth folds her fingers over Marie's hand. "Here, your hands are cold," she murmurs gently, placing Marie's hand against her own cheek, where it could become warm.
Zerifachias
Zerifachias
Totes-Mcgoats
Totes-Mcgoats

Back to top Go down

Post by Durn Sun May 22, 2016 2:15 pm

"In your torment, you must remember one thing," The man said to Rose, "Change is everything, and everything changes." He covered his mouth as he coughed hoarsely. A soft splatter of blood stained the sleeve of his robe. "I, myself, am waiting for change." He said, his brow furrowing as he pressed a finger against the blood. He turned to Rose and captured her gaze with his eyes, blue, soft, and compassionate, reflecting experiences of great desolation in their sheen.

"I will die soon," He said, "and I've lived long enough to know that you will not. I find you and see the gusto with which you struggle against your demons. There is a greatness in you that has all but abandoned me. There is more for you to do, more for you to-" A violent cough wreaked him to the ground. Splatters of blood flickered against the Hesedian Crystal, which dispersed them into a red mist upon contact. He stared at Rose and muttered beneath the throes of his gasps,

"There is more for you to see."

~

Judex discovers The Rites of Chokmah, Divine Emanation of Reality

Chohkmah is faith and premeditation turned to stone. Potentiality's demise and purpose. The first step out of the mystery of Ein Sof to awareness.

First steps, like first love, require commitment to things you cannot know. The requisite faith to leap into the chasm without even the certainty of death, or the hope of flight. Chohkmah is not the step, Chohkmah is the ephemeral decision dissolving into action. Chohkmah is the first light of reality. Open your eyes young one.

-first rites performed for a newborn

~

The Ysa'aeon marketplace lay tucked behind a wooden gate, large and wide in stature, that matches the height of some lesser towers found throughout the city. It operates on a gear-based lever system based in the two sister towers that bookend the gate itself. It serves as the sole defensive property of Ysa'aeon that prevents the restless demons and undead of The Shattered Plane from entering the encampment freely. A caravan of traveling merchants is scheduled to arrive at the tick of the fifth afternoon bell.

"Do you see that?" One guardsman says to another, perched at the lever within one of the sister towers, "They're back, early too!"

The other guardsman shoves him aside, pressing his eyes against a pair of binoculars. As he does so, the first guardsman signals for the ringing of an arrival bell, traditionally, a collection of three jingles, three seconds apart. The bell roars, the first guardsman pulls the lever, and a complex orchestra of shifting gears and pulling and shifting parts begin to release the gate. The second bell roars, and a forlorn expression befalls second guardsman.

"H-Hey," He stuttered, passing the binoculars to the first guardsman, "we can't let them in, look! We can't let them in, we can't let them in." He rushed over to the lever, though unable to force it into an opposing position as countless gears continued to force the gates open.

"Wh-what is that? Are they injured?" The first guardsman remarked.

The second guardsman continued to struggle against the lever. After a brief while, the gate had fully opened, but only for a short second as he quickly instated the closing process as the gears let up. "They're running, too. There's a hoard passing through, probably out of sight. From other sides. We'll be hearing the alarm bell sound sometime soon from the flankside watchtowers. I know it."

The caravan of merchants consisted of four men and two horses, each pulling behind them large carts of supplies. As they approached the gate, they quickened as they noticed its closing.

"They're trying to run in, still!" The first guard remarked.

"They won't make it. There's no time." The second responded, "The Fos are probably nearby. We can't keep the gate open any longer. It's too dangerous!"

"Should I sound the alarm?"

"Do it, quickly! With any luck, we could hope the caravan acknowledges our plan and redirects themselves away from the gate."

The alarm began to sound, a consistent ring of aggressive bells, bellowing without rest. Nearby towers reciprocated. Almost instantaneously, each bell tower in Ysa'aeon sounded restlessly. The bustling marketplace stilled, their quaint silence permeated by the echoing ring of bells on all sides. An untamed havoc broke out among the people, as families retreated to their households, men stampeded through the crowd over others, and drunkards pushed through and screamed unintelligible nothings.

The caravan continued forward, whipping their horses into a blind rush as the gates continued to close before them. They arrived as it nearly closed and barreled through its sliver of an entrance. The horses managed to slip through, while the large carts behind them caught hold of the closing doors, crushing them, though bringing the closing of the gates to a standstill as masses of wood now barricaded their closure. The horses jerked backward as their reigns tensed, flinging their riders to the ground. The merchants struggled to their feet and ran toward the horses, attempting to free them from their tangles, though failing due to their incredible agitation.

A black shadow leapt through the open gate and sank its teeth deep into one of the horses. Showers of blood filled the streets as more of the undead flooded through the crack. They lurched toward the fleeing merchants and straggling villagers, pinning them to the ground and feasting upon their struggling flesh.

> Fight

> Run away

~

"Oh gosh," Marie pulled her hand back, "I'm quite okay, I think. Maybe-" She turned her head to the direction of the main gate as a flurry of bells began to sound. Her brow furrowed and she stared, concerned, as swarms of small, black fingers wandered their way through a narrow wedge in the gate. "Amaranth..." She muttered, turning to her friend as the city erupted in echoes of wild screams, "What should we do?"
Durn
Durn
Hermit Sage
Hermit Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade Sun May 22, 2016 3:35 pm

Falrein wasn't having much luck finding anything on the bulletin board. That was a shame. It seemed today was going to be a boring day after all. In a way they considered themselves lucky because this was supposed to be a day of rest. Best not to break from the routine. A resting day was for their own good. Sighing in defeat, Falrein turned to go into the crowd and maybe do a little shopping. It seemed a caravan was arriving for the arrival bells sounded. They were always so nice to listen to, even if they did break silence.

That particular euphony was suddenly interrupted by a chorus of grievous bells chiming bedlam through the air of Ysa'aeon which only could mean one thing--the settlement was in danger. Many people ran in chaos, seeking to shelter themselves. Others probably went to arm themselves to aid in the defense of the town. Falrein themselves retrieved The Helmsman from its strap on their belt and dashed towards the gate.

The monsters were already in by this point, the streets drinking in the liquid life that would flow like a river if it didn't stop soon. The creatures were sickening and relentless. They did not hesitate to eat whatever they could get their claws on. Falrein rushed to the aid of a nearby villager, swinging The Helmsman hard enough to knock the creature off of her right before it could do any more damage than it already done. The woman villager had already suffered from its claws, but those were minor wounds compared to having one's throat or guts ripped out and devoured. Falrein pointed in the opposite direction of the chaos with a stern face as if to say to the woman to run, and she did not hesitate to stumble up and run away, another nearby burly fellow aiding in her escape. Falrein twirled The Helmsman and took a battle stance.

Today was to be an eventful day after all.

>Fight.
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zerifachias Sun May 22, 2016 6:59 pm

Amaranth stood by and watched the caravan enter. The merchants were alive, somehow, and despite their early arrival they could not have brought in a worse evil than this. The deranged deformities devour the doomed horses first, but with one comes more. The gates are stuck and refuse to move, and now Amaranth and Marie are left with a choice. To run away or help? Even Marie questions what they should do, but Amaranth knew. She always knew what to do in this kind of event.

Amaranth grabs Marie by the arm. "Come on, we have to go and help!" She will not let a single merchant die, not without first putting in every bit of effort she can first. Amaranth lets go of Marie and runs towards the merchants, taking the staff from where it rests on her back and holding it out in front of her, ready to cast at a moment's notice. She will act as a healer in the front lines if she has to, and this is when she must.

>Fight!
Zerifachias
Zerifachias
Totes-Mcgoats
Totes-Mcgoats

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Sun May 22, 2016 7:31 pm

It was as close of a start as Judex was going to get, from the look of the text. Whether or not they were mere ramblings of nonsense or a actual words of significance was still up for question. The word "Chohkmah" sounded like a foreign dish, probably something involving marinated chicken topped with several peanuts with a side of lettuce or something of the like. Judex was sure he had not ventured off into the section of the library for cookbooks; perhaps someone may have misplaced this.

Judex pondered if he should have continued browsing the library, or to call it a day, stopping by the marketplace to purchase some ingredients to make "Chohkmah". His thoughts were interrupted by a blaring racket, and he stepped outside to see the source of the clamoring. The entire town was in a frenzy, fleeing from a formless entity that was devouring any living thing it could get a hold of. Judex stared for a moment, before tucking his hands into his pockets and walking away in a calm and orderly fashion. Many of the townspeople ran past, trying to get away, and yet Judex stepped at a slow place without a look of worry. Today was just none of his concern.

>Leave
Vergil
Vergil
Void Sleeper
Void Sleeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun May 22, 2016 8:36 pm

"Change is everything, and everything changes."

Those words hung in the air, bouncing through Rose's mind as she watched the man start to cough into his sleeve. Was a change really on the horizon? It seemed she had very little time to contemplate such matters as the man continued his speech. Golden eyes remained locked on the red substance on his fingers. He continued to cough. More blood. More change. He'd lived long enough and is going to die. Right now, she realized internally, shit. Shit. Shit!

"There is a greatness in you that has all but abandoned me."

A violent cough wreaked him to the ground. Splatters of blood flew from his mouth, pinpricking constellations on her face and dissipating near the crystal. Rose let out a strained gasp but did not move to help him. Her right hand which had previously been on her temple moved to the bridge of her nose. She wiped haphazardly and stared at the blood – his blood – resting on her fingertips. Shit! Fuck! Golden eyes darted to the crystal but there was no salvation for the man. "Damn it. No." she muttered to herself, looking back at the man as he gasped out his final words.

"There is more for you to see."

The clanging of aggressive bells threw the entire world into chaos. Rose's fixation on the dying man shifted all too abruptly for her liking but the sound matched the thudding in her chest. Moving from his side to view outside she saw the insanity building in the square – the monsters that had managed to break their way into the city. People ran but there were some which had started to gather, perhaps to defend against the creatures which had wormed their way in. "Monsters?" she questioned. "Is this the change he spoke of? I-is this what I'm supposed to do?"

The words tasted like blood in her mouth. Absentmindedly fearing that the dying man's blood had run down her face, she spat and wiped both hands across her face once more. Nothing changed. Golden eyes remained locked on the scene unfolding – a healer had joined the fray now. She had to think fast. "You... you have to do something, damn it."

And so she ran toward the square.

> Fight
Silver
Silver
Prince of Dreams
Prince of Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Gist Mon May 23, 2016 10:43 am

The murmuring behind Lavotte continued to transpire and increase in volume. While this place was meant to be a sanctuary for those that needed it, it did not need so much noise. He could hardly hear himself think at this rate. Slowly standing, brushing the dust that had collected on his robes, he took another look around the temple. There were two people towards the Hesedian Crystal gathered close in conversation. Those two were the only ones that weren't moving either to or away from the temple. Lavotte didn't care much about either of them, just remarking that they were most likely the ones who were the cause of the increase in noise. Lavotte heaved a small sigh and began moving towards the exit of the temple.

As he was passing the couple, he still could not make out what was being said between them, but then again, he didn't really need to know what they were speaking of. He had his own matters to attend to. And that would have been everything, had things not been so completely off as he exited the sanctuary. The bells were clanging in seeming panic. People were running for their lives as opposed to the calm gait that they adopted near the Crystal. Upon closer inspection, there seemed to be hideous creatures that were spawning towards the town square - that was what everyone was running away from. Lavotte frowned and looked towards the sky. "So... Your mercy has run thin. After all, what has been given may always be taken away." The time of false peace had come to an end.

It was no longer safe here, or anywhere else for that matter. It was time to go. And so, without being completely illiterate and running senselessly, Lavotte moved in the same direction as the general throng of people did, though he was unsure of where he would go. Leaving the town was not an option, with the breath of Angels still lingering about in the outside.

>Leave
Gist
Gist
Full Eight Hours
Full Eight Hours

Back to top Go down

Post by Durn Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:22 am

As Marie emerged from throngs of retreating villagers and stumbled into the bloodstained cobble of the Ysa'aeon marketplace, she witnessed before her a collection of hunched figures, dark and thin, looming toward her. A stench filled her nose and shrill roars of the undead cracked against her eardrums. It was a scene she had seen before, long ago, at the dawn of the Angel's Touch.

She remembered the way all the blood sunk into the cracks like streams, the way the dark ones hooked their talons into bodies and plucked their tendons from them, the way the town lost all sound as people flushed from sight. She remembered those who could not run quickly enough, their faces, the way their mouths opened wide and their cheeks contorted as the beasts took them. She remember old Marna, and Adelaide, and the way their spines were ripped from their skin, like wriggling caterpillars pulled from torn chrysalises.  

She woke to the distant scream of villagers and looked to her left and saw a pair of other townsfolk, who turned to fight. To her right, there was Amaranth.

Marie starts at H9.

Battle Initiated!
Marketplace, of Ysa'aeon
Soundtrack:
Ally Participants: Marie, Amaranth, Falrein, Black Rose
Enemy Participants: Fos [x6]
Neutral Participants: --
Description: A flood of undead has broken through the main gate of Ysa'aeon! Villagers lucky enough to escape the initial ambush have retreated to their homes and locked the doors behind them. Nearby guardsmen are addressing other swarms of undead, and will be unable to assist the ally party.

A Crack in the Sky RZT7vjX

A Crack in the Sky XvFGiPE

A Crack in the Sky EOQ2IxK

Position yourself in one of the unoccupied starting cells that are colored blue!

~

Battle Initiated!
Alleyways, of Ysa'aeon
Soundtrack:
Ally Participants: Judex, Lavotte
Enemy Participants: Fos [x4]
Description: Additional swarms of undead have flanked both sides of the designated retreat routes throughout Ysa'aeon! Due to the thin, narrow nature of the streets of Ysa'aeon, Villagers are left with no way to run as an enclosing horde of undead looms nearer and nearer. The herd of villagers slows as many of them stumble and fall, or are pulled back by the encroaching undead. Before long, the ally party is left with nowhere to retreat as both front and back have been blocked off by Fos. Every few turns, additional Fos will enter the battle. Help will arrive at the beginning of the 10th turn of combat.

A Crack in the Sky O2mygo0

A Crack in the Sky NTwU0dl

A Crack in the Sky 5uOIq0N

Position yourself in one of the unoccupied starting cells that are colored blue!
Durn
Durn
Hermit Sage
Hermit Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Zerifachias Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:19 pm

Amaranth starts at J-9

"I'll be watching over you from here," Amaranth says gently. Measuring the distance between her and the enemy is something she has to take into account at all times. Allowing something to get too close to her would be detrimental to her and those around her. After all, being a non-combatant healer meant she had a lot of people to take care of and no way of inflicting damage on the enemy. At least in this way, she can focus primarily on keeping others alive.

The Fos are a disgusting bunch of creatures and very quick despite their frail bodies. With her armor in place, Amaranth should be able to sustain some blows from them but she should avoid the front lines at all times, if possible. There is work to be done here and she won't neglect her job.
Zerifachias
Zerifachias
Totes-Mcgoats
Totes-Mcgoats

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:42 pm

Falrein is presently at H3.

Just as they were about to leap into the fray, Falrein cast their glance aside to notice that there were more people coming to assist, townspeople with the power to fend off the undead. The guards had their hands full enough as it was guaranteeing the safety of the villagers that had managed to survive the initial onslaught. It meant that Falrein and these newfound allies, albeit temporary, would be on their own.

Keeping silent, Falrein offered the newcomers a wave and a warm smile but not much else, taking The Helmsman and readying themselves once more for a skirmish worth their time.

The ones that joined me now were intriguing characters, I will admit. Back when I was with the Servants of Silence, companionship was not valued. Those who were paired or grouped up were done so for strategic value. Lower ranked members weren't able to speak anyway. Only higher ups were allowed to communicate. Even if I had wanted to make friends there was no way to, except through pantomime which was still frowned upon. I perfected it in secret, or at least tried to, and didn't begin to use it until after I had left. I long to speak even now. It's been a while since I've had the sutures removed. But every time I go to speak a word, I get this horrible feeling...
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:57 pm

Rose ran as fast as her feet could carry her. The pounding in her head echoed the sound of her footsteps upon the stone. She could not hear it. The sounds of people screaming and children crying overwhelmed the drumming of her skull and her footsteps washed away in a river of red. She hit the town center and nearly fell over, but somehow managed to stay upright. Her heart burned in her throat and her jaw tightened as she tried to still the panic rising in her. It would not calm. And she quickly realized she had no weapon with which to fight.

Rose looked around wildly, unsure of how she could help the assembled warriors in dealing with the creatures that had invaded the town. With no weapon, she was more of a liability than an asset. "I need to do something," she muttered to herself, feeling the thudding in her skull slowly climb in power. Her right hand went to her temple but instead of helping the pain exploded and she stumbled again. Unable to keep herself steady she fell to the ground. "FUCK!!" she cursed, louder than she originally meant to.

Give in, darling, a sultry voice murmured in response. Pain is power and power is pain. Rose looked up, fear dancing in her golden eyes as she realized there was no one speaking to her. The others had not batted an eye in her direction. Who... or whatever was speaking to her came from somewhere else, possibly within. Let it claim you, it spoke more loudly, and Rose could swear she felt a gentle embrace wrap around her shoulders. You don't have to die like the others... A moment passed and she shook her head hesitantly. A wave of pain collapsed on top of her. She cried out and nodded quickly. When no response came, she swallowed harshly and wet her lips.

"O-okay..."

The power of the unknown plague poisons Rose's blood and turns red to black! Black Rose gains immunity to a random negative status effect!

All of a sudden the pain shot through her body like lightning and Rose truly believed she was dead. Blackness cascaded like raindrops across her vision and all sound faded to a dull murmur. And then... all was calm. Her head was silent. Her shoulders and legs no longer trembled. And she felt at ease. "W-what's going on?" she asked, pulling herself to her feet.

Pain is power and power is pain, the voice repeated in an almost sing-song tone. Rose looked about once more. Scanning the creatures, she could see something different than before – they still held danger and bloodthirst, but now she could see a definitive weakness. The voice chuckled to itself. Spread pain and claim more power, my darling Black Rose. It's what you were meant to do.

Golden eyes sharpened on the nearest creature. Black Rose flexed her fingers and suddenly her entire face took on an edge of ferocity. In a flash of red energy, two pistols appeared in her hands and she pointed them confidently at the enemy. "Okay," she sneered aloud.

Black Rose starts at H8!
Silver
Silver
Prince of Dreams
Prince of Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Durn Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:41 am

Marketplace, of Ysa'aeon
Soundtrack:
Ally Participants: Marie, Amaranth, Falrein, Black Rose
Enemy Participants: Fos [x6]
Description: A flood of undead has broken through the main gate of Ysa'aeon! Villagers lucky enough to escape the initial ambush have retreated to their homes and locked the doors behind them. Nearby guardsmen are addressing other swarms of undead, and will be unable to assist the ally party.

A Crack in the Sky Arr27ss

A Crack in the Sky 1XhaNzs

A Crack in the Sky FbGObm4

A Crack in the Sky EOQ2IxK

Player Phase 1!

Marie offered the sword-wielding figure a concise nod before turning her attention back to the horde before them. She had seen the Fos before and knew how they worked, how their shuffling gait would turn to ferocious leaps at the first spill of blood. They needed to deal with them quickly. "Take the one in the front," she said to the girl with crimson hair, "I'll cover you. We do this simultaneously."

Passing behind her, Marie circled around the girl and positioned herself directly to her front and left. From there she observed a small opening between a pile of rubble and the gate wall, where a lone Fos drifted. She pulled an old, wooden bishop from the bag at her waist and gripped it tightly. It was the perfect angle: two ricochets, a clean shot. For a long while she stood, patiently awaiting the lone moment where the Fos would amble its way through the eye of her aim.

"Now!" She commanded as she pointed the chess piece toward her target. From its tip a robust burst of lighting weaved through the air, collided with the wall behind the Fos, and bounced back through its skull. A resounding crack echoed through the deadened air as its mudded blood splattered against the brick wall behind it. For a brief moment, the creature collapsed to the ground before straggling to its feet, unleashing a shrill scream, and lurching toward Marie.

She stood her ground as it charged, preparing to finish the job cleanly.

Marie moves to G7.

Marie casts Back Rank Mate on Fos [5]! 6 piercing magic damage!
MP: 16 / 30
Durn
Durn
Hermit Sage
Hermit Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:39 am

Black Rose attacks Fos [3]! 2 hits! 6 Atk Damage per hit!

"Gladly," Black Rose responded curtly, waiting for the girl's signal before pulling the trigger on the gun in her left hand followed shortly by the one in her right. It was none too flashy, but the bullets sped at the Fos lingering close by and she knew it would fall. The unknown voice confirmed as much.

It holds no power to escape the inevitable. The pain you inflict heralds death. Black Rose did not respond. If these things would die from just a few bullets then she clearly could keep herself and the others here safe from major harm. It would prove to be a matter of whittling down the enemies' numbers and ensuring the city was safe. Black Rose eyed the Fos that Marie had attacked – while it still lived it was clear enough that it would not be able to reach either of them just yet.

"Let them come," she spoke aloud to no one in particular, "they shall bend before us in time."
Silver
Silver
Prince of Dreams
Prince of Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:26 pm

The temptation to leap into the throes was hard to resist, and with reckless abandon, Falrein did just that. They landed with a thud in front of one of the undead creatures, looming over it, grip tight on the handle of The Helmsman. It was time to steer this creature back to the depths of whatever hell it so happened to originate from. Raising the mighty sword overhead, Falrein brought it down with great force upon the creature without mercy.

Falrein moves to E3.

Falrein attacks Fos (1)! 5 Dmg! (ATK)

The performance remains reticent! [Damage Output +10%]

Stacks: 1/3
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zerifachias Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:43 pm

Amaranth places the end of her staff on the ground, watching with care while those who are here to fight attack the enemy. From what she could hear, the two in front of her plan to coordinate their attacks. The stranger's target went down, but Marie's was still standing even after her spell. Neither required any recovery, and the woman several meters away seemed content to do her own thing. Seeing no need to use any spells or worry about anyone, Amaranth walks to the side, watching the enemy carefully and measuring the distance she needs to be in order to stay safe.

Amaranth moves to J-7

Amaranth waits.
Zerifachias
Zerifachias
Totes-Mcgoats
Totes-Mcgoats

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next