Eternal Dream
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Secret Stories of the Masquerade

+3
Masquerade
Greycat
Cerani
7 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

The Secret Stories of the Masquerade - Page 8 Empty Re: The Secret Stories of the Masquerade

Post by Cerani Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:26 pm

Will supposed he should've expected the angel boy to bolt and run or the hills, but he'd thought for a moment that he would've stayed. Or was he misinterpreting the look of determination he'd thought he'd seen when they fought that huge shadow? It had come from somewhere, so where was it now?

He suppressed a frown and looked back at Heaven and the other woman before catching up to Kit and the angel. "Who's Layla? He said gently, trying to calm the kid. "Maybe we can help?" Will almost told Kit to let go of the angel, but figured the boy would just ran as soon as he was able before he got an answer.
Cerani
Cerani
Right Hand of Destruction

Back to top Go down

The Secret Stories of the Masquerade - Page 8 Empty Re: The Secret Stories of the Masquerade

Post by Shadow Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:37 pm

It was now or never, to return back to Earth or stay in the Nightworld. As the Universal Tone morphed back to a normal MP3 Player which Heaven quickly deposited in her pocket, she waved wordlessly to a departing Rico and continued to ponder about what to do.

"...I'm staying." Her voice was clear and doubtless. "Even though this world is dangerous, it seems awful that this so-called Sun Dragon will rise from the Rift and destroy it."

And with that, she felt inexplicably content with herself.
Shadow
Shadow
Graced with Good Dreams
Graced with Good Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenosaga Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:17 pm

"Aaaahhh!" Myuu shrieked, falling flat on his face when something pounced on him from behind. He snapped his head around to see who it was and whimpered. It was the cat boy who had frightened him from before. Except now he seemed more feral. Myuu's insides felt like they were twisting as fear gnawed at them. He half expected the boy to eat him.

As the boy stepped off of him. Myuu made another attempt to flee but felt something grasp his wings. He looked back again and horror filled his gaze. He couldn't understand why they were keeping him here. Couldn't they see he wanted to leave? The other male had been able to leave!

"L-Layla's the o-one who brought me h-h-here," he stammered, wishing he could tug his wings from the cat boy's grasp but knowing it would hurt if he did so. He was still a trainee, meaning the wings were too small to fly but were real. If any feathers were pulled out, he wouldn't be able to regenerate them. "S-she hates it when I. . . I try to go off on my o-o-own." Myuu could understand why though, but he did not like the fact she was always sending Raven after him. "P-please, could you let me go? I-I-I don't have anything to do with t-this so. . . ."
Xenosaga
Xenosaga
Never Awaken
Never Awaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:51 pm

Will sighed. What was he supposed to say to the kid? Without the angel, it would just be him, Heaven, and Kit. What if they couldn't do it by themselves? He doubted any of the Nightworlders would be brave enough, or perhaps more accurately, stupid enough to help them. Will scrutinized the boy, a hard look in his eyes. They were going to need him, and that was the end of it.

"I don't think we can do this without you. We've lost too many as it is. First that Rico guy, and then that other one with the sword, I have no idea where he is. And now you wanna go too. I don't get it! What is it about doin' something good for once that has all these people running?" He could feel his temper beginning to rise under his skin, but why wouldn't it? This was quite simply outrageous. "Are they all really that callous? Are you? D'you really just not care?"
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenosaga Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:39 pm

Myuu stared. He couldn't understand why they were dragging him into this. If they really needed people, they wouldn't have let that man leave. Unable to look at the male, Myuu lowered his head, gazing down at the ground.

"If you really needed help," he whispered, clenching his fists. "You would have said that to the man you let walk away." Myuu didn't want to be a part of this. It wasn't any of his business. He wasn't even supposed to be down here. All he wanted to do was find Layla and go back home. Not go gallivanting on some journey to save the world or something. The angel fell silent, the glow surrounding him seeming to dim a little.

They were going to force him on this journey and Myuu hated how weak he was to let them.
Xenosaga
Xenosaga
Never Awaken
Never Awaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:19 pm

Will let out a dragonbreath of a sigh, as if he could pour all his recent frustrations in it and they would float away in the breeze. He couldn't pretend to know the kid, though what he was hearing was convincing him that he had an idea. But besides that, it kind of cut at him that he had let the other guy just walk away. His argument was at least convincing though, and Will had faith that if they did fail on this side, Rico would be waiting on the other. This kid, Myuu, would not. Whoever this Layla was, he got the impression they were on to something else and could probably care less what happened here. It seemed Myuu was just used to it and went along with it.

"He wouldn't have been convinced to stay." Will finally said. "He made a choice to go and do something different, and the reasoning he presented was sound enough. You, I don't get. Sounds like you're just letting this Layla woman drag you around. Why? Does she hold some kinda special power over you or something?" Not really expecting an answer, Will waved a hand beside his head, a motion displaying how fed up he was.

"Kit, let . . . let him go. If he wants to come with us, he'll come with us. If wants to go, then, well . . . " He waved a hand again, more reluctantly this time, and turned back to Heaven. Knowing she was staying put a sad smile on his smile on his face. He liked her, in a way. Most likely, it had something to do with both their affiliations with music more than anything else.

"Glad you're staying." He said to her, with a glance back at Myuu and Kit.
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:20 pm

"Yes..." She replied, her electric blue eyes glancing at the unsure-looking angel boy, then at Shakespeare. "I believe we're supposed to do something... We just didn't gain those powers out of nowhere for nothing, right?"

This was all a frenetic run of events that lead them to the Nightworld, when just the day before everyone of them was probably enjoying the dull, monotonous life one sometimes desires to change it to something more vivid. A sudden thought suddenly struck Heaven's mind, though, before she could say something else. She looked around, there was apparently nothing in plain sight.

"So... what now?"
Shadow
Shadow
Graced with Good Dreams
Graced with Good Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Greycat Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:25 pm

"We attack!" Kit said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "Since the sun rises in the east, that's the most likely place to imprison one, so that's were well go!" He smiled energetically. "But, then again, the sun sets in the west," he mused. "They may have waited until the sun was heading to rest after a long days work them jumped it. A decent trap." He shrugged. "I got no idea. Lets just head that way," he said, pointing in the direction the giant came from. "The dude's who sent Masque's pick up should be that way."
Greycat
Greycat
Fleeting Dreamer
Fleeting Dreamer

http://avarkimu.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:34 pm

"The sun never rises here. Go south, and find the mapmaker."

Will turned to question what the woman meant, but the woman wasn't there. No one was. "What the--you know, I'm gettin' really tired of this." He groused for a minute, then rubbed at his eyes with the heel of his hand. "Fine, we'll go south. Makes sense, the bottom of the world is always south. We can't try to head them off, we really don't know where they came from . . . but which way is south?" He looked around the clearing, looking for some sign that might've said 'this way south' but there wasn't any. Well crap.

Just then, his laptop beeped urgently from within his bag. Will snatched it out and cracked it open. The screen flashed for a moment then showed what looked like a compass in the middle of all the controls. William stared at it, then smirked. "What, no map? Couldn't make it easy could ya?" It different offer any response, only unwaveringly pointed south. "Guess we know where we're going then."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so, the party headed south into the glowing forest. The exotic plants all seemed lined and dotted with a kind of bioluminescence. Tiny creatures chirped and croaked, and the wind blew through jungle-like leaves and vines. Bright moonlight barely pushed through the thick foliage, though there wasn't any need. The plants themselves offered enough light to see. Luckily there was a path through it all that lead mostly south, and ended up outside a fenced in town, with a couple guards keeping watch at a gate. Will was surprised to find they looked human, though he should've known the Nightworlders at the Masquerade were only in costume.

"Halt, state your business."

"Uh, we're here to see about a mapmaker. Someone told us we might find one here."

One of the guards snorted. "Hmph. Otherworlders, always getting lost." He unlocked the gate and ushered them in. "Welcome to Darkend. Don't break anything."

Darkend, despite it's name, wasn't really dark. The ever present moon shone down as brightly as a sun with its pale light. All the shops and homes lining the cobbled streets cast their own yellowed light from windows and opened doors. People as normal as could be bustled about as if it was midday in a marketplace, which it might've been for all Will knew. All the time they'd spent here so far, the moon hadn't risen or sunk from its position in the sky. "Excuse me," He said, catching a passing woman by her sleeve. "What time is it?" When she gave him a look that gave away what she thought of his intelligence, he quickly added, "Uh, in Otherworlder time."

Her eyes widened in realization and she smiled at him. "About the time you call one in the . . . afternoon?"

He smiled back and thanked her. So it basically was midday. "Alright, well. Let's split up and see if we can find this mapmaker. It's the only lead we got, so I say we stick with it. Uh, we'll meet up back here in an hour or so." He nodded, mostly to himself, and set off into the throngs of people.

Search for the Mapmaker

[Ask around the Tavern]

[Ask around the shops > Cook, Blacksmith, or Tailor]

[Ask around Market Street]
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Greycat Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:56 pm

Kit yawn, his fangs glinting in the moonlight. The atmosphere here really set him at ease. Relaxing in a way. True, he still looked forward to a good fight, but a short nap in a mice sunny, ah, moony? patch wouldn't hurt either. According to the lady, it was time for an afternoon nap anyway. But naps could wait till after the map maker fellow. He lazily surveyed to market area.

"I think I'll hit the tavern," he announced. "I could use a shot of something. And taverns usually attract a tough crowd. Not that I'd pick a fight or anything," he added hastily, remembering Will's earlier blow out. "I'll only be asking about the map maker."
Greycat
Greycat
Fleeting Dreamer
Fleeting Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenosaga Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:21 pm

Myuu hung back, away from the rest. When they split up, the Angel hesitated. This seemed like the perfect opportunity for him to run. However, he didn't know where he was. He hadn't been paying attention at all to the walk, having been staring dejectedly down at the ground the entire time.

Myuu sniffled, biting down hard on his bottom lip. Now that he had been dragged along, it seemed the only ones he could rely on were the ones that had dragged him with them in the first place. Slumping, Myuu decided to help out with the search. It was far better than doing nothing, not to mention he felt uneasy. Very uneasy.

Swallowing hard, Myuu hurriedly made his way down the Market area, timidly searching for someone he might possibly be able to ask. Unfortunately, he seemed to have forgotten about his lack of social skills.

"E-e-e-excuse m-me?" he inquired in a small voice as he stepped up to a shop. It was so small, it seemed as if he was just moving his mouth instead of speaking. "I'm h-here to a-ask about the m-m-mapmake. . . . mapmaker?"

[Myuu] decides to ask around the shops. [Myuu] asks the [Cook].
Xenosaga
Xenosaga
Never Awaken
Never Awaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:47 pm

The cook was a large fellow, belly poking out form under his shirt. Strange, black tattoos covered his arms, and contrasted the filthy white clothes he was wearing. "Whaa? Wha' you goin' on 'bout, boy?" The rather rotund cook rumbled, louder than he needed to. Before receiving any reply, he said. "Wha' 'bout that mapmak'r? Last I hear, he done wen' nuts an' all, an' dis'peared. Dunno where 'e went."

He shuffled about, moving a couple hams here and some broccoli-like vegetables there. "Now, if'n you ain' buyin' somethin', I suggest you get hungry er leave."

Search for the Mapmaker

[Ask Around the Tavern]

[Ask around the shops > Cook, Blacksmith, or Tailor]

Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Greycat Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:19 pm

Kit wandered into the tavern. The place was basically just what he expected. No surprise their. Sun or no sun, people needed a drink. A billiards game was going on in the back, a card game in anther corner. He took a seat near that set. In a few moments, a nice looking girl came over to take his order. He held up a hand to ward off her offer.

"Two questions," he said, preferring to start the conversation. "What drink do you have with milk, and ever here 'bout this mapmaker dude?"
Greycat
Greycat
Fleeting Dreamer
Fleeting Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:32 pm

The pretty girl smiled at Kit. "Mapmaker? I don't know who you're talkin' 'bout, but you could ask Charlie." She jerked a thumb towards the bar, where a husky bartender was pulling up drinks as quick as only well-practiced hands could. "Now, how 'bout some spiced rum? Tastes the best with lotsa milk in it."
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Greycat Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:07 pm

"Thanks sweets," Kit said with a lazy smile. "I think I try one. I'll be over with Charlie when you get back." He got up from the table and made his way over to the bar. Idly, he wondered if Will would mind if he got a drink or two. He specified the brawling aspect of a tavern, not the drinking. Easily, Kit slid unto one to the bar stools, his tail resting on the ground behind him.

"You lovely waitress sent me to you," he said lightly. "My friends and I are looking for someone, and she said you might know. Name's the mapmaker. Any hints for me?"
Greycat
Greycat
Fleeting Dreamer
Fleeting Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:01 am

"Mapmaker? Ha!" The bartender laughed as he scrubbed a glass. "Hadn't heard 'bout that man in years. I get a lotta people come through here, but you're the first to ask 'bout him in a long while." He set down the glass and snapped to a particularly burly, tall man and pointed to a couple guys who were getting rowdy at the roulette table. That taken care of, he continued speaking with Kit. "Now I don't rightly know, but the hearsay's that he disappeared some years ago. A few enterprisin' people, such as y'self, set about tryin' to find the ol' mapmaker, but they weren't too successful. Went about all kind o' places lookin for 'im."

The bartender shrugged good-naturedly, and poured a few glasses full of some dark brew, one of which he poured half-full of milk until the drink was more of tawny, golden brown color. "That's about all I know on the subject, but I hear Miss O'Malley over in the markets knows where 'e mighta went, if you wanna try your luck with her. Careful, she's a might feisty."

The pretty barmaid from before came over and loaded the drinks on her tray, before smiling at Kit and handing him his over-milked rum. "Will that be all? Or do you wanna order up on the tab?"

Last edited by Cerani on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Greycat Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:22 pm

Kit smiled. He hadn't really counted on much information, but he got a fairly good lead. "Thanks. I think I'll start that tab." He raised his glass to Charlie and took a sip. The tip of his tail twitched in pleasure. Not only was the color excellent, but it tasted perfect. He smiled at Charlie. "Feisty I can deal with. In fact, I rather like it when things get feisty." He downed another swallow. "I go talk to this Miss O'Malley. After my drink of course. What do you call it? The spiced cat?"
Greycat
Greycat
Fleeting Dreamer
Fleeting Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:51 pm

The bartender appeared to ponder the name, polishing yet another glass. "Don' rightly know. I'll keep it in mind though." The bartender moved away to take a few more orders further on down the counter, leaving Kit to sit alone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

William wandered the streets, trying to figure out the best place to go to get some information on the mapmaker. A shop with an interesting sign caught his eye: it was a big sewing needle, with the thread curved and looped into a complicated pattern. It looked almost Celtic. 'Neat.' he thought, sauntering inside. The interior was a bit musty, with lots of fascinating, almost medieval looking clothes hanging about, but with some curious modern pieces thrown in. There was even a set of headphones.

While he wondered at how the shopowner had gotten a hold of such a thing, the man himself appeared behind him and cleared his throat. "Is there something you wanted?"

Will jumped slightly, and turned to meet the man face to face. He was almost eerily gaunt, and very thin, his pin-striped button-down clinging to his ribcage and midriff. The sleeves were rolled up to reveal arms just as thin and almost uncharacteristically hairy. "Uh yeah. I'm lookin' for a guy known as the mapmaker. It's kinda important."

The little, thin man shuffled away not saying anything, making William wonder if he was going to reply. "I haven't heard much about him. Only that he went mad and ran for the hills, though which hills I'm not sure." The tailor eyed him critically. "Your clothes could use repairs. They look rather . . . worn."

Will looked down at himself and his clothes. The thin man was right, pretty much. His hoodie was ripped in a few places, though how he'd gotten them he couldn't remember, and his jeans had more holes than they began with. "Ahhh . . . well, when I get some money, I'll get back to you on that." With that, he left the shop and its somewhat creepy owner, and started thinking again.

He started thinking about what brought him here, to this town, in the first place. Disregarding the whole Masquerade and the incident during and after, it was that woman they'd saved that told him to go here, to search for the mapmaker. That mysterious woman was really starting to bother him. How had she known so much? He had assumed she just knew more than he did, because she was from this darkened world, but now he wasn't so sure. It didn't really seem like the people here really knew too much about what was going on, as he was sure news of the fiasco at the Masquerade would've reached this place by now. Shouldn't they all be in a state of pandemonium? So either they knew yet another thing he didn't or they didn't know at all.

Search for the Mapmaker

[Ask around the Tavern]

[Ask around the shops > Cook, Blacksmith, Tailor]

Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenosaga Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:22 pm

Myuu meekly nodded before turning tail and hurrying away from the cook. To his relief, the man hadn't been all that scary, he wouldn't know what to do if the man had been holding a knife or some other sharp object. Pausing in the street, he nervously glanced around for anyone to inquire information about. There were quite a bit but he didn't know if he could bring himself to ask so many.

Swallowing hard, Myuu decided to continue along the shops. He peeked down to see one of the males he was traveling with leave the shop with the clothing. There was probably no need to ask around there anymore, much to his relief. He couldn't take much more of this. All the people were starting to make him feel enclosed.

Tearing his eyes away from the people, he quickly focused on getting through this. The sooner he did, the sooner he could go home. Myuu hiccuped, tearing a little. He missed Layla and even Raven. Swallowing down his tears, Myuu hurried over to another shop and felt himself flinch at the loud banging sounds from within. By the hanging sign, this place seemed like the blacksmith.

"H-h-hello?" he squeaked, poking his head inside. Timidly, Myuu shuffled into the shop, glancing nervously at his surroundings, and kept near the doorway. If the blacksmith attacked him or anything he could make a quick getaway that way. "U-um. . . . . I'm here to ask about the . . . . .map . . . maker?"

[Myuu] asks around the shops. Myuu asks the [Blacksmith].
Xenosaga
Xenosaga
Never Awaken
Never Awaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:42 pm

"Huh?" The blacksmith stopped midswing, about to bring a heavy hammer down on a piece of metal glowing an orange-ish yellow. "Hey kid, come mind this for me!" He set down the hammer and called to a boy he looked to be about sixteen years of age, face smeared with soot and wearing the same kind of leather apron the blacksmith was. The boy quickly picked up the hammer and resumed the work.

The blacksmith himself was a fit man, muscle-bound arms and barrel-chested, sweat shining on his bald head. "You say the mapmaker?" He said as he approached the skittish Myuu. "Well now, s'been a few years since someone asked him. I told 'em that they should go talk to that gypsy woman, Ms. O'Malley. Don't know if'n they went to her or not, didn't hear back from 'em." He cast a scrutinizing eye over Myuu, eying the sword at his side. "Say, that's a nice blade. Looks pretty old though, d'you need a new one?"
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:30 am

Heaven started to search for said Mapmaker, trying to not to trip on the Nightworld streets while hurriedly crossing them, looking for an adequate place where she could ask, but the girl had been unfortunately unsuccessful until now. Soon she naturally came to the Market Street, nocturnal activity bursting everywhere, but her problem was where exactly to start. Not like everyone knew about the Mapmaker, or...

She headed to a random shop and when it was Heaven's turn to be attended, she apologized because she wasn't going to shop, but instead looking for the Mapmaker. The girl waited for his answer...
Shadow
Shadow
Graced with Good Dreams
Graced with Good Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenosaga Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:14 pm

As the man drew closer, Myuu quickly shuffled backwards, almost tripping over his own two feet. He hurriedly straightened himself, not wishing to fall and hurt his wings. It was one of the reasons he hated falling on his back. Myuu was relieved to hear some actual information this time and blinked rapidly at the blacksmith's comment.

"Uh, this?" he asked meekly, pulling out the rusty sword. He had never actually used it until today and so never took care of it. Myuu swallowed, biting his lip. Knowing what was ahead, he would need something better. Free hand fidgeting with his robe, he peeked up at the blacksmith. "Uh, well. . . . If . . . it's okay. . . ."
Xenosaga
Xenosaga
Never Awaken
Never Awaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:26 pm

The blacksmith shrugged. "S'okay as long as you have money, kid. People gotta eat, you know." He eyed the sword a little longingly, but restrained himself with the thought of needing to be able to eat.

Outside, in Market Street, a rather busty and heavy-set woman with fiery red hair, shouted in the street. "Simon! Where be my toad's livers?! And the Artifly wings! I NEED t'make soup, ya blitheirn' fool!" She sounded vaguely Irish.

Another voice, a male one, called back to her. "Calm down y'damn devil woman! I'm comin'!" He sounded much more Western, and appeared to be so when he stalked up to her in an almost vintage brown duster and, of all things, a cowboy hat. He was even wearing spurs.
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenosaga Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:16 pm

Myuu stiffened slightly.

"I. . . . I don't know," he mumbled, looking down. "I have to ask. . . . ." He wasn't even sure if they even had any money. "I'm sorry. . . I'll. . . come back. . . . later. . . . .Uh, thank you for the information. . ." Quickly sheathing his sword, Myuu turned tail and ran. Though the look hadn't been directed at him but his sword, it had still frightened him quite a bit. But now he had to find the others to tell them about what he had heard.

Pausing for a moment in the street, he searched almost frantically. He didn't know if he could stay in this place any longer. Eyes settling on someone familiar, it was the boy with the headset, Myuu ran over to him and skidded to a stop just a few meters away from him. He didn't want to get any closer.

"U-um. . . ." Myuu licked his lips, unsure as to what to say.
Xenosaga
Xenosaga
Never Awaken
Never Awaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8