Eternal Dream
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The School of Roleplaying.

3 posters

Go down

The School of Roleplaying. Empty The School of Roleplaying.

Post by LuckyLuke5392 Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:19 pm

Welcome to my class. Now sit down before I sit you down myself. This is gonna be intense, you hear? This is where you learn how to do this stuff for real! You got questions, son? I got answers! You need help, son? I'll give it to ya! Just gimme a holler! Now here's your assignment...

Ask questions!
- Yessir! If you have any questions about anything in particular regarding the Roleplaying sections, you make sure you ask the guy in charge, because he knows what's up. When you post here and ask me to fill you in on a little something you may have missed, like a lesson or just a plain question, it'll be recorded right here for everyone to see. It's not embarrassment, just reinforcement.

Request a Lesson!
- Yeah we do that too. If there is any aspect of a Roleplay you would like for me to go over, then just say so. Wanna know what a good Story has to it? I can tell ya. What makes a good Character? Well, that's much more complicated, but I can tell ya that one too!

Just like any good teacher, I hate cheaters. So don't come over and ask me what ideas I can give you for your stuff. I will not give you a backstory and I will not give you an original character idea. I just won't have it in my classroom!

Now, before I letcha go into the world, just remember one more thing. If anything looks suspicious or out of place, ask somebody about it. If it looks fishy like a rotten sardine, report that to the guys in charge. Now get out before I get you out myself!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lesson Review
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Down here I got a log of all the stuff you wanted to know. Lucky you I take good notes.

Q. What makes a good character?

A. "What makes a good character is not only snappy dialogue, but emotional depth and personal complexity."
- VIII Redeta

"I believe a good character is akin to a good book. It must be well-developed but cannot give all the answers. You can make any character with as many details as you please, but the good ones stand out when they are put to application in a story."
- LuckyLuke5392

Last edited by LuckyLuke5392 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
LuckyLuke5392
LuckyLuke5392
Sleep-Deprived Zombie
Sleep-Deprived Zombie

Back to top Go down

The School of Roleplaying. Empty Re: The School of Roleplaying.

Post by Cerani Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:02 pm

So what does makes a good character? Is it a matter of opinion or is there really something to it you think? I know I make dozens of characters every time I write something new or try a new roleplay, I'd like to know what makes a really good character.
Cerani
Cerani
Right Hand of Destruction

Back to top Go down

Post by VIII Redeta Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:57 pm

I believe what makes a good character is not only snappy dialogue, but emotional depth and personal complexity.

It's easy to have a character react violently to his father's recent death, but what is it about him that sets him aside from every other whiny brat?

Does he shed a manly tear and realize that his father wouldn't want him to walk down the path of revenge? Is he a foster child that knew no other kindness and has every right to exact vengeance or at least die trying? What does he feel aside from the obvious rage?:

- Regret
- Guilt
- Confusion
- Fear
- Loneliness
- Determined
- Apathetic

About that dialogue bit... put more depth to a simple question like: "Are you okay?" For example -

"Christ! That looked like one helluva fall. You okay there?"
"Goodness, you should be more careful. Are you unharmed?"
"Hey. Get up off the ground. You're slowing us down."

Dialogue should give you an idea of a character's personality. A well-written character will give you an idea of who they are in but a few lines of dialogue. I'll use my Mattie as an example:

"It's about time you showed up. I was getting tired of waiting. Oh, but don't worry. I killed a few of your lackeys to pass the time. I hope you don't mind the blood splatters; they'll stain if you don't take care of them quickly." Cocky little brat, isn't he?

It's better than: "You took so long I decided to kill some of your men. Now let's fight."

Any other questions~?
VIII Redeta
VIII Redeta
Fleeting Dreamer
Fleeting Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:21 pm

So, depth and complexity, and make sure to show it. Okay, that's a catchy character, but what makes a good character, one that will not only stick out, but be more than just original?
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by VIII Redeta Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:27 pm

That, my dear, is all about the reader, not the writer. Some people will always love the emo Sasukes, and some people will always hate Cinderella's stepsisters. A 'good' character from my perspective is someone who won't get everything they want at the snap of their fingers.

What I mean is that -realism- surprisingly makes for good characters.
VIII Redeta
VIII Redeta
Fleeting Dreamer
Fleeting Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:29 pm

Okay. That explanation is a little more what I was looking for.

I've heard some of that other stuff before, but I wasn't quite sure it helped.
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by VIII Redeta Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:33 pm

Well, realize that originality isn't something that should be over thought. Try too hard and you'll wind up with an abomination that's part human part Ssvaylon (an alien race that no one can seem to pronounce. Made off the top of my head.)

While being different is -interesting-, it's always comforting to see someone we're more familiar with and able to relate to. There's a reason why a hero is a hero; certain traits will always apply to the man who saves the day, and while they may range from selfish intentions to altruistic deeds, you can never deviate too far from this "patented formula" if you will.

Cliches exist because they've always worked and withstood time no matter how predictable they are.
VIII Redeta
VIII Redeta
Fleeting Dreamer
Fleeting Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:44 pm

Yeah, I've read a couple books that study that. Stereotypes, cliches, and underlying overall plots. They're always there, at some point, and every genre of story has them. Even everyday life has them. I admit it bothers me, but there's no real way of getting around it. Archetypes are always there for a reason.
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by VIII Redeta Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:52 pm

You've read books on this stuff? I've never been that studious-- I suppose my reservoir of random knowledge is just innate talent. *hums*
VIII Redeta
VIII Redeta
Fleeting Dreamer
Fleeting Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:04 pm

Haha, I was interested, and wanted to go beyond talent. lol!

I've been told I write better than some so-called professionals. By a published writer.
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by VIII Redeta Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:06 pm

Anyone can write better than that sparkle shit. You know what I mean? o___O++
VIII Redeta
VIII Redeta
Fleeting Dreamer
Fleeting Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:14 pm

Sparkle? *short, pondering pause* What're you saying?
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by VIII Redeta Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:28 pm

Twilight. *dies*
VIII Redeta
VIII Redeta
Fleeting Dreamer
Fleeting Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:31 pm

No, Firelight.

Look it up, lol. SNL ftw.
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by LuckyLuke5392 Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:37 pm

I believe a good character is akin to a good book. It must be well-developed but cannot give all the answers. You can make any character with as many details as you please, but the good ones stand out when they are put to application in a story. When you read a book, and if you know it is a good one, you are constantly thinking, trying to delve deeper into it and see how it works. The same can be said for characters, but you cannot get all the answers right away or make it so the audience won't have to think. A little bit of mystery always makes things interesting.

And I'll also add that I disapprove of the Twilight Saga as a movie series and a book. I read two pages of the book and put it down. It just sat there and told me too much first off.
LuckyLuke5392
LuckyLuke5392
Sleep-Deprived Zombie
Sleep-Deprived Zombie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:46 pm

You should've continued. It really doesn't tell everything in the beginning, I think you only thought it did.
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down