Eternal Dream
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"No offense, but..."

3 posters

Go down

"No offense, but..."  Empty "No offense, but..."

Post by Dwaggy Sama~ Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:00 pm

"Don't read it if you don't want to be offended." "No one's forcing you to read it." "Please don't be offended."

Someone says or does something, for convenience let's say it's writing a post on a forum, that they believe might offend people so as a warning they leave a message: don't keep reading if you don't want to get hurt. How offensive their words actually are is isn't really the issue I'm wondering about. What I'd like to know is...

If you saw a message like this would you keep reading? (And if you did and got offended what would you do or how would you feel?)

I'd also like to know:

Does giving people a warning change how acceptable it is to say offensive things?
Dwaggy Sama~
Dwaggy Sama~
Void Sleeper
Void Sleeper

Back to top Go down

"No offense, but..."  Empty Re: "No offense, but..."

Post by Masquerade Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:10 pm

I've read those kinds of messages several times, and by the end, after I ignored the warning that is, I really wished I hadn't read what I did. If you look at it from a psychological perspective, saying "don't read this if you don't want to get offended " is kind of like reverse psychology. Not only that, but it also plays on the human curiosity, leading a person to think: "Wow, I wonder how bad this is if the person writing it had to put a warning." People have their right to free speech and shit, but you don't have to be a douchebag and offend people with it. Enough said.
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

https://eternaldream.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MysticKnightFF5 Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:45 am

THIS POST MAY OFFEND PEOPLE
--
Actually...you just started on the psych perspective....used a "but it also", which is both grammatically incorrect and means you're going to drop that point and bring up another, then you continued on the same point.
That offended me.
NOW ADD YOUR DO NOT OFFEND TAG!!!

On a serious note, I usually laugh at that sort of thing, because I find offensive material funny purely because people are dumb enough to get offended by it.
MysticKnightFF5
MysticKnightFF5
Daydreamer
Daydreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Masquerade Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:41 am

WARNING! THIS POST MAY OFFEND ONE PERSON!

---

I also used "not only that" which suggests that I'm merely adding on to the point that I've already established.

Bitch.

---

End warning. XD

On a note that's more on topic, I'm also starting to find these things hilarious.
Masquerade
Masquerade
Eternal Dreamer
Eternal Dreamer

https://eternaldream.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum