Eternal Dream
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chronicles of Haladway: Treasured Tales

2 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Chronicles of Haladway: Treasured Tales Empty Chronicles of Haladway: Treasured Tales

Post by Cerani Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:36 pm

Welcome to the land of Praesentia! Praesentia is a moderate continent with all manner of creatures and peoples in it, even those that live in its nearby waters. It has a very long and storied history, filled with great and terrible wars, intrigue, wonders, and stuff of legend. The time of this particular chronicle is in an interesting one indeed, as it takes place not thirty years after an antharen slave rebellion, and merely a decade since the Great Necromancer War ended. The people are recovering, some war wearied and embittered, others eager to find new adventure and light in this recently war-blighted continent.

Here in this land, there are three factions with a wide reach that is felt in most every civilized place. The High Council of Mages, in their great Nine Towers in the southeast, regulate everything to do with magic. They require every magic user of any kind to be registered and properly licensed, and they have been known to send out their own special enforcers to track down unlicensed mages, known as the Watch. The Thieves' Guild, though they have no one place in particular as their headquarters, have their hand in every black dealing in Praesentia, from pickpocketing to assassinations. For the most part they keep their business quiet, having successfully kept attention away from their individuals for centuries. Anyone known to be employed by them is either known on purpose, or that person has already been ousted. Lastly, the Knights of the Hill are basically a collection of highly trained and politically unrestrained fighters who have taken it upon themselves to defend the people and the common good. The place they call home is a large underground fortress called simply the Hill, and most anyone with enough skill can join them there.

You, a recent arrival, have found yourself eager as well and yearn for excitement and discovery in this world so new to you. The date we begin is Seconday, the Second Tenday of Moonrise, in the thirty second year of the Dark Cycle. You have traveled to a place known as the Shining Port, so named for its white stone walls that shine in the light, you even can see it for miles offshore as well as any lighthouse. Today, you have need of a guide, as you are still quite unfamiliar with this land. Luckily for you, someone seems to be in need of employment . . .

Down the cobbled street from where you are is a loud bar. The sign says 'The Shiny Till Tavern: Open all night'. It might be best to start there.

Start quest: A Friend In Need?

[Accept]
[Reject]
Cerani
Cerani
Right Hand of Destruction

Back to top Go down

Chronicles of Haladway: Treasured Tales Empty Re: Chronicles of Haladway: Treasured Tales

Post by Silver Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:50 pm

A Friend in Need?: Accepted

It was a curious feeling to be back–nostalgia had a way of making situations like this uncomfortable. Though, to be back was, in itself, a stretch. Just because she felt this way did not make her truly familiar with the area. She really wasn't. Falling into some ocean in a mysterious new land had a way of doing that. She shuddered at the thought; such a terrible entrance that had been, even if it had been entirely unintended. She breathed deeply and moved onward. If she were to return home, finding her way around this land and regaining her full strength would have to be her top priorities. That did not, however, stop her from halting at the start of the cobblestone path.

A loud bar opposite the path caught her eye–'The Shiny Till Tavern: Open all night'. She shifted quietly and looked away from the tavern; back home these kinds of places weren't for people like her. "Young ladies" weren't supposed to enter those "unsuitable hellholes" as many strangers had mentioned before she had come here. Were she at home she would have listened and gone on her way–she did not need to drink anyway, it wasn't in her interest. But now, in this world, perhaps going there would be for the best–taverns had barkeeps after all; from what she had heard in her travels, they were the best people to ask about gossip and jobs. That could point her in the right direction.

Looking back at the tavern, the young woman walked with purpose in the direction of the bar. She entered with a rather powerful presence despite her fragile looking figure–her silver-blue eyes drank in the scene with quiet pensiveness. There were plenty of people filling the bar, mostly drinking men but there was the occasional barmaid. She was quick to take note of the bard singing in the corner. Maybe she could ask him for some assistance when he finished his current melody? But until then? ". . . Hm..." she mused, taking another couple steps into the bar, silently moving over to the bar, eyes locked on the barkeep. "Excuse me."
Silver
Silver
Prince of Dreams
Prince of Dreams

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Xavier-Rains/314656341904106

Back to top Go down

Chronicles of Haladway: Treasured Tales Empty Re: Chronicles of Haladway: Treasured Tales

Post by Cerani Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 pm

The tavernkeeper was a rough-looking man, dark beard covering his jaw and deep-set eyes. He wore an off white tunic and brown apron to keep spilled drinks off his nice pants. He paused in his polishing a tin stein, looking up to see who had addressed him. Upon seeing the girl he raised an eyebrow. She didn't really look like she had much money, nor like she belonged in a bar. "Yeah? What d'ya want?" A clattering off in the back caught his attention for a moment. "Hey! You break anythin', you're buying it!" He looked back at the girl expectantly.
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:10 pm

Cerys' neutral expression did not fade as the man yelled to whoever in the back dropped something. When he turned back she was unfazed, her stoic determination remaining despite the noise and clatter going on in the bar. "Do you know anyone hiring? Or maybe someone willing to show me around town?" she inquired with just a slight tinge of hope in her tone. She knew she had not been searching for very long, but the sooner she found someone the sooner she could get on with her plan. "Anyone will do. I'm not picky." she added after a moment, keeping her expression calm and collected.
Silver
Silver
Prince of Dreams
Prince of Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:15 pm

Sighing, he set the stein down for now. "Well, if ya just looking for somebody ta show ya around town, you could pretty much pick anyone hanging about." He shook his head at his own statement. "But if'n you're looking for a proper guide, you could try those two over there. In the table by the bard." The tavernkeeper looked her over again before going back to his business. "Hope you got money, girl."

The two he mentioned were a pair of black haired and well armed men, nearly identical looking when they sat together. They both wore matching sets of well made and kept leather armor, but where one kept a steel sword at his side, the other had a longbow of some dark wood propped up next to him.
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:29 pm

She nodded "Thank you." Cerys turned back around, looking in the direction of the bard, scanning for just a moment before locating the two men. "Mercenaries?" she pondered, moving away from the bar and striding confidently over to them. If they were, she'd definitely need a good chunk of change. Though money was no object in nature, she didn't have much to offer them–hopefully they'd be the least bit generous. "Excuse me," she began "the barkeep said you might be able to show me around town?"
Silver
Silver
Prince of Dreams
Prince of Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:35 pm

The two turned their heads towards the girl near in unison, and it was obvious now that they were twins. "Show you 'round town? You sure that's what he meant?" The one with the bow spoke to her, his brother regarding her quietly.

Back at the bar, a man in threadbare clothes and long, scraggly hair chuckled to himself. He leaned on his elbow over the counter, smiling at the nearby tavernkeeper. "Say Bob," he said, getting the man's attention. "Why would you go and do a thing like that? You know that girl hasn't any good money on her."

Bob shrugged to him. "Tha's not my problem. She wanted information, I gave it to 'er."
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:43 pm

"Perfectly. He said you'd be proper guides." Cerys answered without missing a beat. Having now gotten a better look at the two, she could clearly see that they were twins. She wasn't fazed. The way they were looking at her didn't either. "If there's been a miscommunication, I apologize. It was not my intention to interrupt your afternoon." she added politely, doing her best to read them for any sign of irritation. If they did not take kindly to her tone, as some people just didn't, she would have to think quick. They definitely would be able to handle her if she pissed them off.

Last edited by Silver on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silver
Silver
Prince of Dreams
Prince of Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:54 pm

The swordsman looked at the other, silently communicating something as siblings were wont to do. The more talkative brother responded to her. "No no," he waved a hand dismissively. "It's just we deal in protection and hunting. We'll take the job though, our rates are fair." He grinned at her. "Two hundred shekels, for as long as you need."

At that, his brother smacked his shoulder and frowned at him. "Vin." To Cerys, he corrected, "He means a hundred and fifty. Pays for upkeep and food, anything less and we're shortselling.

The man at the bar snorted in laughter. "You're always a charmer, Bob. Next time, why don't you let Lina talk to them?" Lina was Bob's wife, she ran the kitchen and the barmaids - and stayed in the back, away from customers.

Bob only shook his head. He'd heard this argument before already. "I stopped takin' advice from ya a long time ago, ya old drunk."

The drunken man grinned even more. "Haha, but Lina's so nice!"

Bob deathglared.
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:12 pm

Cerys' face remained stoic although her determination had faltered. Even after the quieter of the twins corrected his brother and gave her a lower price she did not have enough money to purchase their service. Something told her that she would not be able to just get one of them to help her either, not that she planned to ask. Cerys averted her eyes for a moment, cursing her bad luck since having made that portal, and then bowed her head slightly. "I'm afraid I've wasted your time then–I've not that much to pay and I don't expect you to lower your rate considerably to accommodate my situation." she explained, lifting her head to once again acknowledge the quieter of the twins. "I'm sorry. Thank you, anyway." And with that she turned and stepped back over to the bar, this time in the opposite end to sit in the corner.

She eyed the other customers pensively; one would have to be willing to help her out. Right?
Silver
Silver
Prince of Dreams
Prince of Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:28 pm

The brothers acknowledged her apology without complaint and turned their attention back to the bard, who had changed his tune to a slower but still lighthearted song.

"See? I told you, she'd never have that kind of money." The scraggly man tapped his glass and nodded knowingly.

Bob, finally fed up, gestured to him and countered, "Well why don't you talk to 'er then? I'm sure she could do with your boundless wisdom."

He tilted his head to the side, considering it. "Not a bad idea, actually. I know this whole damn place like the back of my . . my head." The man gestured with both arms as he said 'whole', but stumbled over the correct phrase. He ignored Bob's look of alarm (this had not gone the way he'd intended), and called out to the girl on the other side of the bar. "Hey, you over there! You were saying something about hiring a guide?"

"Tegan-" Bob started, but the man was already waving the girl over, or trying to anyway.
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:43 pm

Perhaps the bard would be kind enough to help her for a small amount of money? "Hey, you over there!" Hmm? Cerys' attention was drawn over to a rather scraggly looking man. "You were saying something about hiring a guide?" Well this certainly was a new and interesting development. Cerys allowed a thin smile to grace her previously neutral complexion–the man certainly wasn't akin to the twins, but she was not picky. If he was willing to put up with her until she returned home, she would most definitely take his help. She got up and walked over to him.

"Are you offering?"
Silver
Silver
Prince of Dreams
Prince of Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:53 pm

The man smiled at her, revealing surprisingly white teeth in regards to the rest of his appearance. "Aye, that I am." He leaned in, intending to make a conspiratorial whisper but coming out more like, well, a loud and drunken whisper. "I'll have you know I've been everywhere across Praesentia-"

"And drank every kinda alcohol known to civilization." Bob cut in, rolling his eyes. "But most of it right here. Ya still owe me quite a bit, Tegan."

Tegan's face fell, understanding what the tavernkeeper was getting at quickly. His tab was astronomical for a poor and practically homeless man. Bob wouldn't let him leave town without paying it . . .
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:02 pm

Cerys' silver-blue orbs targeted the tavernkeeper once more, sharpening only slightly as she looked him up and down. She had been perfectly ready to take on the unintroduced man for whatever price he asked, should it be at a decent rate for her situation. It seemed, however, that this world really did not like her for the man had racked up a debt with this bar–Cerys refused to let that be an obstacle. "Will this cover it?" she remarked quickly, pulling out ten shekels for Bob to see.
Silver
Silver
Prince of Dreams
Prince of Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Bob eyed the little coins the girl offered and started laughing. "I'm afraid this old drunkard over 'ere has racked up a bit more than that, girl." He glanced at Tegan, who was pouting down into his glass, and gave a longsuffering sigh. He looked at her and jerked a thumb at the drunk. "This one owes me 'bout forty five shekels worth, but I'll drop it forty if ya just get 'em outta here. Bastard needs something to do, 'sides drinking up all my wares with nary a coin on 'im."

Tegan was down to hugging his quarter full glass now, head down on the wooden counter. No one would ever pay that much for somebody they didn't know, let alone some drunk who claimed to know everything.
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Thirty more shekels appeared in Cerys' hand in a matter of seconds. She placed them down on the other side of the bar close to Bob without the slightest hesitation. "I'll take him." It was a large price, taking away a large amount of the meager sum of money she had gathered while traveling. She ignored that fact, however, and turned her attention back to the drunk who looked like there was no greater despair than what had just occurred. "Your debt's cleared. I hope that'll cover it for awhile, I don't have much more than that."
Silver
Silver
Prince of Dreams
Prince of Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:22 pm

Tegan lifted his head, looking on in surprise while Bob happily counted out the coins. He turned his wide eyes to her, disbelieving, then suddenly grinned. "You must really be desperate." He laughed and hopped off the barstool to grab the girl up in a bearhug. "Thankyou thankyou thankyou! I'll go wherever you go!"

Objective completed.

Putting the money away in a safe place, Bob waved him onward. "Yeah yeah, go on. Get outta here." He smiled at the two of them, belying his gruff demeanor, then went to deal with another patron.

Tegan put the girl down and held out his hand to her. "Call me Tegan. What's your name?"

Last edited by Cerani on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:29 pm

"In a word..." Cerys frowned internally but chuckled as the man mentioned her being desperate, laughing only harder when he wrapped her in an enormous hug. "That's certainly a better attitude." she commented when he finally set her back on the ground. She took his hand and gave it a surprisingly firm shake for her slender and seemingly fragile figure. "It's a pleasure, Tegan." she responded with a smile, letting go of his hand and bowing her head in respect. "My name is Cerys." she added as she lifted her head to look him in the eyes.
Silver
Silver
Prince of Dreams
Prince of Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:34 pm

"Cerys." He nodded, committing it to memory (for what good that would do). "Well," Tegan set his hands on his waist, smiling widely at his new employer. "All of Praesentia, everywhere and anywhere, every backwater heap that ever was - where do you want to start?"
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:45 pm

"Anywhere really, though I'd prefer to stay away from the High Council." Cerys responded easily, although there was a subtle sign of contempt in her tone as she mentioned the council. In truth, she had little problem with who they were and what they were about, it was their restrictions that bothered her. But Tegan did not need to know that, it wasn't any of his business anyway. "You've got a better idea of the area than I do, trust me."
Silver
Silver
Prince of Dreams
Prince of Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:52 pm

"Well I can't very well guide you if you don't know where you want to go." Tegan regarded her with a more serious expression, thinking about what they could do. Staying away from the Towers was fine with him, he didn't have anything to do with them these days. People were a bit iffy on them these days anyhow, even after the war. She was a bit low on money, so they weren't exactly going far. Maybe she needed to find a job someplace? Tegan shrugged. "What're you wanting to do? We can start from there."
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:57 pm

So finally the question arose. What did she want to do? Other than get home that is. There really wasn't a plan other than travel and regain her strength. Perhaps someone else could have something to help with that? Tegan probably knew of some kind of work or what not, possibly something that could get them some easy money. She nodded at the thought. "Doing a few jobs would be nice. Know anything that pays decently?"
Silver
Silver
Prince of Dreams
Prince of Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:08 pm

The drunk nodded at that, smile returning to him. That was certainly something he could help with. "There's sure to be some jobs posted on the boards, if you want to take a look. Come on." He grabbed his glass from the bar and downed its contents. Sighing in great contentment, he slammed back down on the counter and shouted. "So long Bob! Shiny Till, best ale in town!" Tegan started laughing and headed out the door, a bit of a sway to his walk.

Outside, the street was alive with noontime activity. People strode by, most enjoying the warming sunlight and others so intent on their business they hardly noticed. Buildings and businesses were piled several stories high, the Shiny Till itself was two with its second story addition, rooms for renters taking up its space. Most establishments were pale stone brick, decorated with colorful signs and little potted plants. Some older children were running about, and Tegan eyed them carefully. You never knew these days.

Last edited by Cerani on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Cerys chuckled, following Tegan out with a slight spring in her step. "Quite the guide I've chosen." she mused as they walked out into the afternoon. It was a beautiful day, and with Tegan along, it seemed like everything was just a little brighter. Finding her way home wouldn't be that much harder with his help; not that he had to know about that part. For now. Once her travels started to reach their end she'd tell him.

As they walked, she admired the quaint feel of the city; it wasn't much different from home in design. Mostly brick buildings piled on top of each other. Not quite like home, but close enough. It was a comfort to have it be somewhat similar. Although, as far as she knew, it wasn't like this everywhere. No. And nothing could replace home. Never. "What kind of jobs do you suppose there are?"
Silver
Silver
Prince of Dreams
Prince of Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Cerani Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:30 pm

He pondered the answer to that question for a moment. There were technically a lot of things that were posted, but there were a few that were the most common. "Probably a few guard post jobs and whatnot. They're not too hard, just stand around mostly--"

Just then, Tegan was quickly cut off by a couple boys who ran into him and Cerys. He would just let them go, but he heard the unmistakable snip! of a dagger through purse strings and started shouting at them. "Hey get back here you little backbiters!" The boys stopped alongside another who hefted the bag in his hands, smirking at Tegan. He appeared to be the ringleader, as he pointed at the two and all three drew daggers.

"Let's see what else we can get off 'em!"

Battle initiated!

{-} {-} { } { } { } { } { } {-} {-} A
{-} {|} { } { } { } { } { } {|} {-} B
{-} {|} { } { } { } { } { } {|} {-} C
{-} {|} { } { } { } { } { } {|} {-} D
{-} {|} { } { } { } { } { } {|} {-} E
{-} {|} { } { } { } { } {L} {-} {-} F
{-} {|} {T} { } { } {F} { } { } { } G
{-} {|} { } { } { } { } {J} { } { } H
{-} {|} { } { } { } { } { } {-} {-} I
{-} {|} { } { } { } { } { } {|} {-} J
{-} {-} { } { } { } { } { } {|} {-} K
-1---2---3---4---5---6---7---8---9-

{-}, {|}
= Buildings, impassable.
HP: 60
Def: 25
Spr: 25

Larry
HP: {(//////////)}
MP: {(//////////)}

Fred

Joey

Placing Phase!

You may start in columns 3-4.
Cerani
Cerani

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next